Never Stand Still

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Mike2633, Aug 23, 2016.

1. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    One thing if you notice in the video about the relay points back then,with the 55mph speed limit. We could only log 499 miles or less legal per 10 hours,they were all less than 500 miles distance. Salt Lake City to Reno was a hair over 500 miles,so CF had to open a relay yard in Fernley,25 miles east of Reno,to be legal,then shuttle the freight in.
    I like the bit at the end about taking care of the stockholders,lol. Still have piles of CF stock somewhere,would you like some?

LoneCowboy, Mike_77, 7-UP and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    How long did Jif Lox stay around and why did they go away?

speedyk, Mike_77 and Banker Thank this.
  4. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    After watching this video I can see why Jiflox Jifflox? Went away. What an absolute pain it would be to have to do all that. Like if you worked for FedEx Ground as a linehaul guy and we’re local you could be building 6-7 sets of doubles a night what a pain. I can only imagine the lost pry bars and stuff breaking.

speedyk and Mike_77 Thank this.
  5. Mack185

Mack185 Medium Load Member

Feb 25, 2008
    What a pain in the ###. That looks like a system a company would buy so they could say "Roadway, now with exclusive Jifflox system!"

Why not just buy dollies? I'm not sure what they cost but most companies keep the #### things for ages so they would probably pay for themselves ten times over.

Mike_77 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  6. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    Don Moffit who we talked about a lot in this thread is actually in this video.

Mike_77 and DougA Thank this.
  7. DougA

DougA Road Train Member

Dec 16, 2013
    Retired,In my shop in Md.
    And a short time later,your all fired. Still have mixed emotions about this. In the old days of Portland,CF was a HUGE part of the town,right in the heart of the City. They had their corporate offices there,garages,terminals,they even had a thrift store where they sold damaged and unclaimed freight. Everything and anything there,open to the public. Used to go there whenever I was laid over in Portland,even got an employee discount.
    I see this video was done in Gresham,Or. Not a big operation there at the end. I delivered a rebuilt hostler truck there in Gresham that I had brought out of Oklahoma City,right before the end. I asked the guys working there if CF had anything downtown anymore. No,this is all that's left of CF in the town where it all started,sad.
    I noticed they still put an air starter on that custom truck,old habits I guess.

7-UP, Mike2633, Mike_77 and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. Mike_77

Mike_77 Medium Load Member

Sep 23, 2017
    Not sure? I know approximately 10 years ago YRC still had some running around the PNW. The Roadway / YRC guys I talked with hated them. I was told that besides being hard to assemble/disassemble, the tractor (in 3 axle configuration) was prone to get stuck while traversing deep pot holes, and deep drainage dips where driveways met the road. Overnight had them as well.

Mike2633 and speedyk Thank this.
  9. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Bulk company I worked for had tractors with an unpowered tag axle at the rear like this for pulling semi trailers, they got stuck frequently in mines and quarries. Was told it was to make the tare lower, what it did practically was bear weight off the driving axle and situate it where it could be suspended by the other axles.

Those trucks would get maybe $500 at auction. And they kept buying them. Meanwhile other companies bought lighter newer trailers and tared less with two drives. Whoosh.

Mike_77 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  10. Mike2633

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    upload_2018-8-31_19-19-12.png
    What model Freightliner are these trucks. I don't remember CF around here having these kinds of needle nose Freightliners however that doesn't mean they didn't. I was in 8th grade when CF folded so my memory may be a little off.

Was this model some kind of CF special?
    I remember CF around here with the Mack CH's.
    I think these like needle nose Freightliners were like there primary road truck at the time right? Because they used other units in the city and these mainly out on the road. Not that they didn't ever use these in the city I'm sure they did.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.