New Authority Risks With Brokers Turning You Down

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ajohnson123, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    I run a flatbed with a new authority and the I've been turned away once because the authority is new.

It wasn't a big deal and I was able to get a better load that same day.

There was one load I did when I was three days in that the broker asked for references from my pre-authority lease. I gave a driver's number, they didn't call him, and I got the load. It paid $3.20/ mile and they called me to do another a day later.

The hardest bit for me is getting backhauls. Wife is unable to help with the business. I'm on the verge of paying for a dispatch service.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015

4. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    The hardest bit for me is getting backhauls. Wife is unable to help with the business. I'm on the verge of paying for a dispatch service.[/QUOTE]

Hey, speaking of that. Do you currently know of any? I'm in the same boat. Could use the help, on the homefront. Thanks

5. Doing_flatbed_nc

Doing_flatbed_nc Medium Load Member

Mar 3, 2016
    Hey, speaking of that. Do you currently know of any? I'm in the same boat. Could use the help, on the homefront. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Yes.

I had a friend who used this service out of Texas. She charges 8% of linehaul and you have to pay her every Friday.

I've spoken to her twice and she sounds like she'll keep you going with good rates. She negotiates with brokers/ shippers.

I'm about a week from signing up with her. Sending PM.

easytopleez33 Thanks this.
  6. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Hey Bob Frausto- You still messin' with that Hell's Angel associate?

7. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    ajohnson-

Here's a list of brokers that will NOT touch you until you have 12 months and 3 good inspections..

1.Freight Management (Don't even call them,Even if they are in a jam,they wont use you
    2.Federal logistics-Same thing,Very Picky
    3,Intercity Direct- a so-so broker but wants lower MC's with inspections

Subpar brokers like CH Robinson,TQL,Bear,and a host of others will use new entrants...

BrandonA24, J.S. and ajohnson123 Thank this.
  8. mnmover

mnmover Road Train Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Lichfield MN
    Many newer authority holders make a mistake by not getting together a terms and conditions package. What happens when the load is refused, delivered late, or charges when delivery must be made to an alternate delivery address.Should be part of your carrier package to the broker along with truck ordered not used charges.

9. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Interesting but I have never heard of the carrier's terms and conditions packet given to a broker. The other way around was the only way I've known so far.
    What's the process? You see a load posted on a loadboard and call on it, agree to a rate and do a setup with a broker. They send you their document packet to sign and you send them yours and expect to have it back signed?
    They have their own terms and conditions in their own package already. So if they are in conflict or the brokers refuse to sign it, don't you deal with them?

The fact is that the above stated situations; "What happens when the load is refused, delivered late, or charges when delivery must be made to an alternate delivery address" worry me also. There is a lot more scenarios, I could think of and would not know what happens, if they do occur indeed, such as a missing seal, dropping a trailer at a delivery instead of live unload, late delivery due to a driver's getting sick and ending up in an emergency room, a major break down - takes days to fix it - do I need to rent Pensky or give the trailer to a 3rd party carrier to finish the delivery, so on, so on.
    Still it is hard to envision all these situations and outline them in your own terms and conditions. Another questions is, is there going to be any broker willing to sign it?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    whoopNride and Pieter78 Thank this.
  10. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    From my experience, when I made 10 calls, maybe 2 or 3 of them would not want to deal with me in the first 1-2 months, then it gets better and after 6 months you don't see it as a major problem, after a year pretty much everybody will work with you.

DSK333 and BrandonA24 Thank this.
  11. stayinback

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    Tall Joe makes a point,And so does mmover.

Here's the truth, MOST brokers will NOT agree to a carriers terms and Conditions UNLESS they are to benefit the brokerage or are within heavy reason.

The Brokers don't need to agree to a carriers terms because they don't NEED you.

They Really don't. They'll make another call before they sign anything a carrier throws at them to benefit a carrier.

Sorry,Its reality...........You want terms and conditions to benefit a carrier?? Your SOL these days because of your competition, Best Advice, Don't use brokers, Some Contract carriers with direct weekly freight will stipulate reasonable terms, Other than that, To get along in this mess called trucking,You gotta go along.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.