New Broker

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by jessdarby, Jun 15, 2022.

1. Kytrucker12

Kytrucker12 Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2022
    Hi, I’m a experienced carrier company owner and also new broker as well.

I started out with existing shippers, and I can tell you straight up.

if you’ve never driven a truck before, stepped foot in a shippers location, and you are coming off with almost no understanding of the trucking industry lingo etc. you will struggle.

First things first, shipping logistics managers are bombarded with 10000 calls from brokers all day. Of course you will get told “never call back”

focus on your zip code first. Google industrial distributors and find the people who on google maps have semi truck docks/areas etc.

lumber companies, steel companies etc. high volume need coverage type stuff.

you call them and you simply ask for their logistics coordinator, and tell them that you are partnered with several carrier company’s and that you help them find work, and then ask them if they have any work they need covered immediately.
    Brokering is sales. First you bring value, then you receive value.

Understand that, you only have a job because most of my fellow truckers are not “computer” savvy enough to do 100 calls and e-mails a day.

you really aren’t needed, the trick is making people think you are needed.

alright that’s all folks!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. screamingsparrow

screamingsparrow Bobtail Member

Jan 27, 2022
    Don't be all things to all shippers. you will end up chasing your Tail. Specialize, choose Dry Van, Refer, Flat or whatever. What type products do you want to ship? We are going into Summer so shipping managers will not be around, RFP's won't start up until September. Start small, ID shippers tough lanes. DO not be desperate to get customers you will end up attracting the "rate #####" type of customer. They will dump you for a broker that is $25 cheaper. DO NOT cold call telling shippers "You have trucks in their area every day." unless you really do. BE Knowledgeable about industry trends. Look to solve the shippers issues, pain points etc. See if the shipper has a spot board get in on that but dont rely on it for the long run. if you want more pointers reach out.

4. Truckers Report Jobs

• Truckers Report Jobs