New Brokers...

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by SeekingInfoInFl, Sep 10, 2008.

1. SeekingInfoInFl

SeekingInfoInFl Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2008
    Florida
    Good evening - - I have a couple questions regarding your honest opinion of Brokers. ;) I am looking to start my own Brokerage; based upon honesty and integrity (which seems to have vanished from this industry); but have spoken to several O/O's and have gotten mixed reviews as far as willingness to try a new broker and build a relationship. Is this going to be more difficult than I anticipated, to get started? :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    From my point of view, yes. In all honesty i would be weary of doing business with somebody new because i have to much to lose, Unless they advance and can pay next day.

4. SeekingInfoInFl

Sep 10, 2008
    Florida
    That is understandable... By "next day" you are refering to the day after load is delivered, right? If your position is otherwise, then thats kind of impossible and unsafe practice for us also, ya know. But yes, I would be able to offer payment "within 5 days of receipt of delivery" (which to be honest generally if everything is in order and clean would be about 48 to 72 hours after.) I feel as though that is greatly essential in jump starting a lasting relationship. That is not to say that down the road terms may change a bit...
    So, the question is... Can you advise me as to how to approach the situation? :) thanks

5. 550hpW900L

550hpW900L Road Train Member

Jan 29, 2008
    norcal
    I cant advise you sicne i never ran a brokerage, im just a silly O/O lol. But yeah i mean after deliver, 5 days is fine, what i always liked with brokers is to fax the bills and not have to worry about sending them in as well..... Best way to get started i guess is pay good money, be able to advance and have quick pay, advertise the loads on load boards and you will get calls anbd eventually guys hauling for you, and more and more of the same guys.

6. Eskimo6804

Eskimo6804 Heavy Load Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Northeast Alabama
    The easiest way to get in would be to be an agent for a larger broker. I'm not talking about working in their office. I mean you run your own show as a subsidiary of sorts of their company. This will give you access to trucks, and you wouldn't be running a brokerage under a recently acquired MC number. That is what will scare most of us small carriers and single o/ops away.

7. kittykat

kittykat Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2008
    florida
    Why Florida? it's dried up and the freight that you will find is cheap. I've seen dispatchers fighting to get some loads up to $1.70. And even when they walk away someone else will take it.
    when drivers look at the boards they ck credit ratings, being new you really wont have any.
    So your asking for something that most will look at as a shot in the dark. If you have direct loads, and you are honest on the rate/f.s.c. word will spread fast. Belive me. How do you feel about the T.R.U.C.C. Act?

8. SeekingInfoInFl

Sep 10, 2008
    Florida
    Well, Florida just happens to be where I live at the moment .. lol :) But yes, I am well aware of how hard it is to find freight in and out. Well actually, theres a bit coming in . . . just hardly anything going back out.
    Hmm... Yes I have checked into working for other companies first.. however, to be honest, I will not make backstabbing, stealing, cheating, and lying apart of my business practice's as many of these other broker's are suggesting! I understand it is a cut-throat industry but there has got to be some room for some honest people, with good morals , to make a decent living... Which is why after speaking with close to 60 companies.. i decided screw it I will just do it on my own.
    I understand its hard to trust someone new , but the "Door of Trust" swings both ways, have had several other acqaintances that have had nothing but problems with drivers holding the freight hostage, never on time, ect.. My husband is a company driver at the moment, and I've been out there and know what its like for you guys - - the genuine compassion and such should count for something.....?

BTW - - Thanks for all the input! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2008
    kittykat Thanks this.
  9. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    Here's a link for a thread I started about becoming a broker. There is some useful info from drivers in here. I'm starting as an agent for another broker to get my feet wet, build up the funds to get my own thing going, to build up a client base, and to build a reputation. Yes, I will be subject to the broker's reputation as well, but I'll still build my personal reputation at the same time. I'm not saying that you should become an agent, just giving my reasons for starting as an agent.

As far as being based in Florida, it shouldn't matter where you are based, as you will not just be dealing with shippers in Florida, you will be dealing with shippers around the country.

Good luck with it. I think having a current or previous involvement in the industry gives one a better understanding of the reality of the biz, and a better clue as to how to treat the drivers.

What do you want in a broker?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.