New CDL - BackGround Checks - ExPat - Minimal US Work History

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NewCDL68, Apr 23, 2018.

1. NewCDL68

NewCDL68 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Back in '93 I received a felony conviction for Possession of Stolen Property (Didn't return a Rental Car). The rental car company reported the car stolen after I'd called in for an extension and I was arrested while driving it. Upon investigation, the rental company noticed in their notes that a request for extension had been made, but after not being able to get in touch with me regarding a credit card decline, they reported it as stolen. I was 20 years old at the time and was scared to be in jail and agreed to plead guilty to the charge to get out off jail. As the case made it's way through the courts, the Rental company refused to cooperate, therefore the state charge as amended from Vehicle theft to Possession of stolen property. I had no other criminal record at the time outside of Driving on suspended license misdemeanors. I was sentenced to 2 years unsupervised probation with no jail time.

My drivers license was suspended in 1991 due to failure to appear in court for a 3 separate speeding tickets. I obtained a new drivers license in a separate name. It was that license that I was driving on when I was arrested in the above case. The case was prosecuted in that name. Since I had no prior criminal history that required being fingerprinted at that point, the only criminal record entries for me in NCIC are held in that name.

In 1996, I met and married a woman from another country and moved to that country. In 2005, I did something stupid and committed another crime that was classed a "Wobbler" (one which could be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony.) The crime was for internet fraud, and because the company was based in the US, the case was filed in the US, even though I wasn't living here at the time. I eventually returned to the US to face the charges once I became aware of them. I had a pretrial interview and reported to the Sheriffs for an official booking. Since I knew that a record of arrest existed under my "Alias", that's the name I used when I was fingerprinted. I was honest about my prior conviction in 1993, only thing was, the court could not find a record of it during pretrail. I later came to find out that the state which the 1993 felony occurred in automatically seals records after 10 years if no other crimes are reported on an individual in that state. Nearing the end of the court process, I was offered a sentence of Work release in lieu of a jail sentence. Long story short (yeah, I know - this is a long story, lol) I was unable to find employment in a timely manner and was afraid that the work release offer might be rescinded when I notified the court. I did the irresponsible thing and said screw it and just returned to the country I'd been living in. A bench warrant was issued for my arrest and still remains to this day.

In 2014, my wife died and I decided to return to the US. I've been investigating getting into trucking and have read extensively about those with criminal histories. Based on the above and following, My questions are as follows:

1) In my birth name, I've no criminal history attached to it outside of misdemeanor failures to appear back in the late 80's and early 90's.
    2) I clearly won't be applying for a hazmat endorsement, nor to a company that fingerprints, since as of today there is to correlation between my two names and if fingerprinted, I'd be creating a link (one which I don't care to for obvious reasons)
    3) Outside of the case in 2004, I've not used that alias in any capacity and have no other past criminal encumberances.
    4) My plan is to self fund CDL training and then apply to one of the carriers.

I worry that companies that usually don't require fingerprinting for their background checks might desire to do so with me since I've no work history in the US from 1996-2015, and the couple background reports that have been don on me in the last 2 years has raised concerns with other employer since I'm 49yo with reports that come back pretty much blank. No criminal history. No credit history, No address history. etc, since I've lived most of that time outside this country. My first drivers license was issued in 1984, so I show a driving history to that point, but since I've been absent, no tickets or anything on my driving record since 1993.

I'd truly appreciate feedback re my chances of being accepted at a Carrier and my best course of action. I think it best to take the route of just shut up. But I do worry about the lack of verifiable work history along with all the above making me unhireable in the highly regulated trucking industry.

Thanx for your time...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Run a private background check/dac on your new name. They will ask for aliases which I'm sure will pop up. You need verifiable documentation of the past 3 years *if you never were a trucker for most megas. Keep in mind there are a ton of foreigners in trucking but yeah if you get caught lying you already have a pattern of making bad decisions so it will not look good

4. NewCDL68

NewCDL68 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018

Thanx for your reply,

Just to clarify, I used an Alias from '91 to ''93 for the purposes of driving (a boneheaded solution at the time). I was arrested in '93 while driving on that license. I'd never been arrested prior to that, so had never been fingerprinted in my birth name. That alias was a legitimate DMV drivers license, and as far as law enforcement was concerned, was my true name. I was prosecuted and convicted under that name. I've never been arrested, nor fingerprinted, in my birth name before, nor since. If I were to be arrested for something today, then the records would become synced since my fingerprints are on record, but not currently attached to my birth name.

I've had two background checks performed in the past 2 years prior to being hired and both times HR questioned me about why they were essentially blank, which was remedied by me explaining that I've lived outside the country for more than 2 decades. But neither of those jobs was in an industry as regulated as the trucking industry, so the explanation sufficed and required no further inquiry. I'm able to easily supply two decades worth of proof of income through my IRS returns. But it's definitely worth investigating how foreign born drivers have overcome this obstacle.

Thanx for you reply!

5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You stated that a bench warrant is issued and remains to this day.

If that is today's date you are a fugitive from justice and need to go to that court and county where the bench warrant is issued and answer to that first before anything.

Trucking's process of getting a CDL these days have gotten incredibly secured what with the required documentation etc. I don't think you are going to be successful this time around until that bench warrant is taken care of however long or short that is.

The theft history does not help much either. Nor does the wobbler as you called it.

Now people go into trucking all the time with histories and pasts. Just not into certain things like Hazmat. (That's definitely out) as is certain high dollar freighting such as medicines and narcotics etc.

Canada would even become a problem should they deny you entry. Many companies rely on your ability to go into Canada.

This is a mess. It needs to be cleared up.

Nomadicdriver Thanks this.
  6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry dude, I am going to be frank, forget trucking.

Your story doesn't add up from my point of view. Your first "conviction" stinks, not saying you're lying but your leaving out a lot of info.

Now as a background check, if something happens, like a hijacking of your load, the cops and insurance company will do a real background check and that will be used against you. Specifically insurance companies are anal about their investigations.

Maj. Jackhole and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. NewCDL68

NewCDL68 Bobtail Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Thanx for your frank reply. I am truly seeking real world information from those with actual experience, as opposed to mere conceptions like a newb like me. Possesses. You are correct that the story was incomplete as I was hoping to just provide a basic outline of events in hopes of not having the event become the primary focus as opposed to the overall reason for the questions.

Thankfully you've touched on a significant topic which had not crossed my mind to date. No matter how successful I might be in handling the things which are under my control, it's impossible to predict, nor avoid, those things out of my control. Something like a load hijacking never even crossed my mind, and you are correct - an insurance company investigation would no doubt be exhaustive. Just the thought of that alone is enough to shoot down the dream.

I sincerely appreciate your candor and guidance. Thanks for taking the time to respond and share.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I require a driver to fill the app out, sign the release for the background check and if there is something that pops on the background check that isn't on the app, the app gets tossed.

The thing most of you don't seem to get is the internet $25 background check isn't what a lot of companies use.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    So you continued to use different names. Hmmm

REO6205 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I'm going to be Mike and tell the OP not only forget trucking but forget most any job where they do a background check. If there are outstanding warrants and holds these need to be cleared up ASAP. If the OP trys to peddle this story at even a carrier on the FMCSA watch list they will throw rocks at him. Sorry the truth hurts!

buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Locked up at orientation would be impressive

buddyd157 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.