New CDL Grad in need of Advice for New Career....

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by RideAway, Oct 16, 2017.

1. RideAway

RideAway Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Hey there,

I recently posted a message in another section of the forum discussing what to do if PAM doesn't supply me with a new mentor. ( The first guy completely missed his schedules, and failed to even call me to notify me of changes in schedules...). One guy says not to wait a day for a new assignment, so the general feeling is to leave them behind if better opportunities are available.

I have been advised to post here to get more advice on other companies that have open arms to new CDL grads. I know PAM will be looking for some money, so should I expect the other companies to cover that cost? I have several friends from the CDL school that have already jumped ship and went to Swift Transport, and Swift covered the bill...

I have my Hazmat and Tanker Ratings, and those are the areas I will be focusing on. Not crazy about team driving, but will do it if I have to.

I really appreciate any advice.

Thank you,

Andy B.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Don't follow your other classmates and jump ship to Swift just yet; do it on your own terms, not because your other classmates did it. Swift has a flatbed division in North Carolina, so if you go that route, ask for the flatbed division. Lots of good flatbed opportunities for North Carolina drivers later after a few months experience. You may even like Swifts flatbed division; their flatbed drivers have a pretty good reputation.

RideAway and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  4. RideAway

RideAway Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Thanks, I personally didn't follow because the others did. I think it's usually a bad idea to act on anger like that, that quickly...I knew it wasn't the company's fault the guy didn't show up...At least I think???

I met a trucker at a stop during school, and he said to stay away from flatbeds...Something about the straps and tarps being a hassle? What is your opinion on flatbeds?

OLDSKOOLERnWV and Chinatown Thank this.
  5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    I've done flatbed and really liked it. Personally, I didn't have a problem with tarps & chains at all and felt pretty good wrapping a load like a Christmas present. Ran 48 states and lots of west coast turns from Tennessee, my home state.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Just ask a new mentor. I don't know much about PAM but I was a trainer long time ago for a big company. They basically ran the truck as a team. I did not like because you never had time to show new drivers anything plus both drivers were always tired.

They just kinda push new drivers thru the system and it's like you swim or sink. Swimming is better even if it not that good. I'm just saying don't give up or jump ship unless you really want too. You can learn the basics stuff now and get your own truck. Then you can learn the rest as your driving everyday on your own. Stuff like trip planning not to bad today since most drivers have GPS

7. RideAway

RideAway Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2017
    Ok. I got on the phone with a few different companies, and my best option looked like WERER. They are shipping me to Atlanta, GA next Wednesday for orientation. They told me about an interesting Dollar General bit that's reginal...( NC,SC,VA,WV )...Which is around my home, so that's good. Tuesday through Saturday..I'll be making .44 a mile starting out, which is PAM's base rate for TEAM hazmat....I thought it sounded good, so I went for it. Werner will pay my tuition costs to boot...

8. Bootheel Runner

Bootheel Runner Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2017
    Check out SRT. They have a Hazmat/tanker division. Everybody I talk to that's doing that seems to be happy with it. I know what you mean with the run-around Pam will give you. Been there done that lost the T-shirt. But if I was you I'd check them out. They've made a lot of improvements in the last couple years and they've actually been really good to work for. Plenty of miles and minimal bs.

RideAway Thanks this.
  9. Bootheel Runner

Aug 20, 2017
    People don't train when I go out with those trainers anyway. that's the whole problem that's why we have a bunch of steering wheel holders. When the trainer has only logged three months of Miles around the Midwest what is he eligible and qualified to teach?

10. Bootheel Runner

Aug 20, 2017
    Are you at the Days Inn in Irving?

11. RideAway

RideAway Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2017
    No they'll be sending me to Atlanta,GA for the orientation....Something I thought was nice being so close...The other companies wanted me to go to OK, or ND....I don't really want to go that far right now....I want to give Werner a good chance if they'll get me rolling like they say they will...I like a challenge. Being regional is also something I think is nice to have as a beginner, as I see most positions are OTR, and gone for 2-3 weeks at a time....With DG I'll be home every week.....So they say...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.