New company hauling Frac sand called Sand Box

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by roadtech, Jun 28, 2017.

1. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Any one know anything about a new company hauling frac sand called Sand Box? They're all over Craigslist in the NY/PA area looking for drivers.they claim a pay range of $70k-$90k. They don't use pneumatic bulk tanks but what looks like containers on lowbed flat beds that get taken off the flatbed at the well site. They state a 12 hour shift and new equipment and are starting a nationwide expansion.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TakinItEasy

TakinItEasy Medium Load Member

Dec 27, 2012
    OKC, OK
    My cousin works for them. Makes good Money 6 on 2 off I believe. 12 hours shifts. Slip seating. Paid percentage of load. He drives a new kenworth with a coffin sleeper but doesn't sleep in it. As far as I'm aware it's a local job.

4. plater1

plater1 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2011
    back in NY
    The trucks they use around Mansfield PA do NOT look new. I see them loading in Wellsboro all the time. They seem busy but i doubt the pay is anywhere near $90k.

stwik and rabbiporkchop Thank this.
  5. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It's not exactly a new company.

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  6. Frachand

Frachand Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2012
    If their system works as well as they claim and reduces silica dust, I expect them to become major players. There is a major push to reduce exposure to silica dust on frac jobs and anything that helps should become very valuable.

7. roadtech

roadtech Medium Load Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Northeast
    Thanks for the replies. Not exactly looking to make a switch,just looks like a decent paying local job. The only problem is the boom and bust nature of the industry. I had friends hauling frac sand when the money was great,making $10k to $12k more a week with their trucks. Their drivers were doing over $3k a week ( they paid them 30%). None of them are still in it do the bottom falling out of the rates. If Sand Box does become a big player,it looks like they'll be a lot more pneumatic bulk trailers for sale.

8. Thundrblt3000

Thundrblt3000 Bobtail Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Sand box was purchasedby us silica just after the1st of the near they pay $80 per box in Colorado I spent two and a half years there never made over $70,000 a year they're full of lies and Promises they will bankrupt you even as a company driver even as a company driver I wouldn't even think about going there if I was you

BigPerm Thanks this.
  9. linuxjoe

linuxjoe Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wanna move to Texas
    Yes they were purchased. I went and looked at some minutes and fiscal reporting sheets.

This same time last yr, until now they have done an increase in business by roughly 130% - they have gained at minimum 10% per quarter for the last 5QT earnings statements.

I've already done a bit of research on them. They're making moves down in TX, as well as CO,PA,WY,OK and LA I do believe.

I'm leaning towards them potentially grabbing a larger market share, but it's not going to be for at minimum 2yrs.

Too many places are still going to lean and rely on the pneumatic solution just for the simple fact it's a multi-tiered platform that can be used for more than one product.

The problem with "sandbox technology", depending on your stance, is that it's a single tiered solution, although SLCA (us silica) is onto something with purchasing them I don't think many people are thinking about yet:

With the downturn in exploration and drilling wells, and the tightening up on expenses, companies are going to start increasing the needs to have an AIO provider for service.

I spent 20yrs as an IT admin before I started driving, and this is what happened with the tech downturn in the mid 2000's.

All In One providers will be able to provide 90-98% of all the solutions a company will need in any given industry and this one is no different.

Sandbox has a proprietary rail car for transport, proprietary boxs, trailers, and load/unload/staging platforms.

This allows the MT's to be staged and stacked 9 high, while loaded boxes are able to be stacked 2 high.

If memory serves me, I think each box holds 22,000lbs of sand. This means that on already limited space sites more product can be staged, resulting in less traffic, less blow off dust, less space being taken up, which results in less trucks or drivers needed.

This works in SCLA's favor when it comes to labor force, but it also beefs them as a company massively because they not only can provide the sand needed, but with the purchase of sandbox logistics, they now have a distribution network that's proprietary to just their company.

If and when a mandate comes down from the EPA or DOE to cut emissions and improve air quality, guess who's already leading that market???

Since it's proprietary, nobody else in the game is gonna be able to use it without substantial license costs, or making contracts with SCLA -

Sure you can go out and create your own sandbox knockoff, but you're gonna be in for a huge surprise when the IP lawsuits start getting flung at you like a monkey hurling #### across the cage.

I still don't understand why people aren't looking at it from a more logical, science driven approach to transportation.

It's already been proven through math and science that spherically designed containers are way better than squares and take even less space than boxes.

That's why you see signs overseas in the shape of a circle more than a square

Just my .02

10. linuxjoe

linuxjoe Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Wanna move to Texas
    Oh and just as an addendum, if anyone here buys stocks, you may want to grab some SCLA shares.

They're up 3.16% since close, which is roughly $36.61 a share today which is $1+ increase.

The good thing about doing that, is that sandbox isn't publicly traded, but the parent company us silica is.

When sandbox jumps up, so does SCLA at the same time, so you can make some cash off sandbox indirectly by owning SCLA shares.

Redimix Thanks this.
  11. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    I see a fair number of em here in west Tx

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.