New Driver... Need a lot of help, suggestions

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by JJPowelly, Jul 29, 2018.

1. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Trust me, last thing I want to do is #### up, cause an accident, or get myself into a sketchy situation, which is why I'm trying to ask you guys for advice on what to do here.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    It still comes down to efficiency. Why throw away money to go get your material resulting in a empty trip one direction when you can just pay the delivery fee to have it brought to your door by somebody who has already spent the time and money to get setup.

Maybe once you are established and are a profitable company you can think about the transportation side. For now focus on the thing you are getting funding for which is your engineering ability.

I doubt your investors would be thrilled to find their engineer was using their money to play truck driver.

Before I was driving trucks I worked as a CNC operator in a steel stamping factory. They currently use between 180-200K lbs of steel per day to produce parts. That means they take in 4-5 trucks every day of raw material. They don't go get a single pound of it themselves.

gentleroger and Ruthless Thank this.
  4. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    What do the truckers in your family think about your plans? Have you ever driven a loaded 18 wheeler?

5. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Unfortunately my uncles and grandfather have passed... So I don't have them for guidance.

6. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    LOL, it's actually the lead investor that is pushing for me to do this...

7. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    Just a suggestion;
    instead of loading the machines on your own truck and trailer go out and supervise or organise the preparation and loading of the first few machines on an experienced and qualified rigger-trucker and learn from him.

8. Steve from hutch

Steve from hutch Medium Load Member

I moved about 70 tons of iron from SoCal and around the upper Midwest to the middle of nowhere Kansas. There is no way you will come out ahead transporting the stuff yourself.

There are several things you may not be aware of, first most auctions and factories will not allow unauthorized rigger to move equipment on their property. Riggers and insurance are two huge aspects of machinery that few outside the machine tool industry even consider. Next, I always rented lifting equipment at the load site if they shipper allowed me to remove the machine, if they couldn't. Even riggers rent equipment as needed, just having a big Taylor or Hoist collecting dust is not a great way to invest capital.

I have a 24K Hyster foklift along with an 8K and little 3K, the small forklift is used 85-90% of the time, my big Hyster is like a bull in a china shop. I ran a large CNC shop in California and did the machine set up/commissioning, renting the tools needed are far more practical than buying stuff for a few moves. I do use my big forklift don't get me wrong but, I also have 35K+ feet of space with 18' clear span eaves and, 3 acres of outdoor yard space.

Where in the country are you and where are the machines you want to move? I know several riggers and, can add my 2 cents to moving smaller machines on tag trailers. I moved a 10K K&T mill from Long Beach to Hutch behind my 1 ton pick up. I also went to Springfield Mo, to get a 13K lathe with the same set up. Moving individual machines from far flung locations with a pick up may be a better choice IF that is the case?

Steve

Just passing by and Razororange Thank this.
  9. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Truck driving is not a hobby.

Razororange Thanks this.
  10. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    That's one option I was definitely considering... I have actually done that before with the last machine shop I built up and tore down.. I worked with the riggers to get the machines out and loaded...

Attached Files:

11. JJPowelly

JJPowelly Bobtail Member

Jul 29, 2018
    I have forklift and rigger level 1 and 2 certifications... I got those last month.

NCCCO - CCO Rigger Level I and Rigger Level II Certification Overview

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.