New driver need all the advice I can get

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nmax93, May 4, 2008.

1. nmax93

nmax93 Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Richmond,IN
    I just got my cdl with a school and going to my carrier on monday any and all advice will be helpful . Not new to the industry just been gone along time had a b cdl

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Baack

Baack Road Train Member

May 24, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good luck
    Who are you going to drive for???

4. nmax93

nmax93 Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Richmond,IN
    Star Transport Morton, IL

5. BullGoose

BullGoose Light Load Member

May 2, 2008
    New Effington, SD
    The next few weeks are liable to be very high stress. Don't let it take the enjoyment out of the job. Lot's of new places, traffic, getting lost, forgetting your in a different time zone etc, etc ... Remember to laugh at the little stuff you see. I saw a pick-up truck with a decal in the back window the other day, it was a silhouette of a dairy cow with the slogan "I pull tits". I giggled like a school boy for 15 minutes. (A bizarre sight if you ever laid eyes on me) Congratulations, be safe and don't forget to enjoy yourself.

6. Lurchgs

Lurchgs Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2008
    Denver, CO
    LOL - I want that sticker!

Nmax - about the best advice I (as a complete newbie, myself) can offer is "do NOT let anybody pressure you into moving outside your comfort zone". That's when the worst mistakes are made.

Drive at the (legal) speed you are most comfortable with.
    If you have even the vaguest hint the load is over limit, or not balanced right, scale it - and take it back for re-loading, if need be.
    Pre-Trip, pre-trip, pre-trip. Especially at stops where there are lots of other drivers. It need not be detailed there, but for darn sure check your coupling before you drive off.
    Never ever ever be afraid to ask for help. It's much better to be laughed at for needing help than it is to be laughed at and fired for bending something.

Always listen to LogsRus! When she speaks, I'm convinced that DOT listens!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.