New Driver purchasing flatbed. Length question

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Tonytruck98, Nov 18, 2021.

1. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Tarps, search forums.

My personal suggestion is tarpstop

1 x 24x16
    1× 27 x 16
    Both with flap, theyre both 4 foot drops
    Get 150 bungees epdm if in hot climate, natural rubber (sri lanka) for cold

And get padding, crappy old tarps are good

If you must get longer tarps, fine, but the freight usually isnt worth the extra effort

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Dont really need a 53ft flat. I used to run one and that extra 5 ft just makes it harder to manuever and maybe only a handful of loads would it ever get used. I run a 2014 48ft fontaine infinity combo for the last 2 years . ive rolled it off the side of a mountain with 50k pounds of rocks and still going strong. If you have that big truck you may want to try and keep your weight down and go with a all aluminum trailer. With flatbed you want to be able to scale 48k worth of freight or as close as possible Anything lower than 47k you are gonna miss out on a lot of loads

Tonytruck98, chrisdab, Oxbow and 6 others Thank this.
  4. Tonytruck98

Tonytruck98 Bobtail Member

Nov 18, 2021
    Thanks guys. Both great advice. After thinking on it and with what you say I think 48 should be the max I pull. I’ll go all aluminum as well. Quality tarps will be a must. Learned from trying to buy cheap farm equipment that it usually ends up costing you more time and money rather than buying right the first time. I will definitely be looking into Fontaine tonight. Thanks Guys!
    I

Coffey, Speed_Drums and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  5. RustyRod

RustyRod Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2021
    You'll need more than is been posted. 8 foot drops *tarps* chains and binders *no snap binders* a headache rack is a most, dunnage and a few more things.

Tonytruck98, chrisdab, Vampire and 2 others Thank this.
  6. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    The tarps question is a difficult one. It's going to depend alot on where you run. Then, no matter what you get.....in a year , you're going to want something different. Because you are going to find out what you like and don't and what you need and don't. For example, if you haul lumber you need 8 ft drops. If you haul mostly palletized stuff, 4 or 6 ft drops. You haul alot of steel, steel tarps. Coils.....cool tarps or bags. Pipe....smoke tarp.
    I carry: 8 ft drops
    4 ft drops
    Steel/machinery tarp
    Smoke tarp.

If I didn't live where I live, I would ditch the 8ft drops fast. Next set, I'm customizing....more. moving and adding d-rings.

You need to decide between Bungee and Bungee rope aswell.

7. Tonytruck98

Nov 18, 2021
    I was wondering about the headache rack. Handy place to store everything. The trailers ive looked at have dual storage boxes but I’m sure that wont be enough. I worked for a railroad contractor for three years and loaded hundreds of flatbeds with 40 ft pieces of rail. I loaded them piled in a bunch as instructed. I saw them chain the load down really well but I always wondered about the one loose one that may be in the middle on a hard brake stop. Not sure if a headache rack would have stopped it from coming through the cab, but if nothing else it may slow its down a little.

8. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    On loads like that you would do whats called cross chaining on the front of the load. Basically 2 chains going across the front of the beams pulling backwards and they criss cross eachother in an 'x' shape

9. shooter19802003

shooter19802003 Road Train Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Idaho
    The vast majority of the headache racks you see on the road are just for looks. If you read the label on the rack itself....it says so. They aren't meant to stop anything. Now, will they help.....yeap.....but that isn't what they are built for. Some places won't load you without one. As far as the rail thing goes and alot of steel loads, your best bet is to build a temporary headboard out of your dunnage as close to the load as possible. That way it doesn't have a chance to gain momentum.

10. Tonytruck98

Nov 18, 2021
    Good tip. Thanks Shooter!

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  11. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I carry two 27' x 4' drop, and two 27' x 8' drop. 27' will cover twelve pallets with one tarp, and two of them will cover 53' of load, which you can generally carry on a 48' trailer. All four have flaps.

My tarps are heavy, and mediocre quality in my opinion. But perfect to learn with before you get a serious set of tarps.

I'm looking at Montana Canvas for my next "real" set. But I'm also going to get custom colors, D-ring placement, and my company name on them regardless of who I buy them from. Tri-city Canvas is another well known outfit.

cke, Tonytruck98, Zero Fox and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.