New Driver/Single, and saving up money while trucking.

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kingty9183, Jan 15, 2020.

1. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    Stay in the truck as much as possible, eat ramen noodles and pb&j 6 days a week and twice on Sunday, run as hard as you can, gotta go, Gotta Go, GOTTA GO!!!!!

The problem is, by doing that, you will NEVER meet the people who work smarter. The only people you will meet are the people that’s doing exactly what you’re doing, and
    1. they can’t help you
    2. they won’t help you because by doing exactly the same thing as they are, you are their competitor.

Don’t get me wrong, hand...I am all for hard work and I am all for saving $$$. But in order to make the big bucks, you are going to have to create your network with people who are working smarter.

“How do I meet these people, Six?”

Get out of the truck! Be sociable. Be generous. Be well mannered and well groomed. You WILL stand out. You will meet people who will offer you a much better opportunity.

Luck in battle, friend.

Corn-Fed, G13Tomcat, dwells40 and 3 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT

Dave_in_AZ and Coffey Thank this.
  4. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I look forward to reading your posts and pay attention when you have something to say. But one other thing, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are great, cheap, and filling. but a person needs to get his vegetable servings somehow, every day if possible. They are loaded with vitamins critical for fighting off cancer and promote cellular regeneration. Adds some cost but worth the return in health and well being.

dwells40, TripleSix and meechyaboy Thank this.
  5. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    You are absolutely correct.

Have you ever noticed that when you hear drivers talking about trucking, they’re negative. Even the ones trying to run hard and save money. Negative drivers will NEVER see positive results. A lot of what makes us negative is what we eat.

There are drivers that have lucrative contract, and their own fleet who make stupid money and who pay 3x or more average for a solid driver. But how do you ever meet them and how is anyone to meet you without you being sociable?
    Networking

G13Tomcat, TravR1 and EuropeanTrucker Thank this.
  6. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    Absolutely. When you eat better you think more clearly and make better decisions. Also, when your financial health is in order, you make better decisions because you are not stressed out. Some of the better jobs will run a credit check on you to gauge how you handle your own affairs.

A better diet could help you to improve your financial health also.

I remember you saying in previous posts about giving yourself a CB Handle and displaying it on your truck. My parents have also tried to teach me about networking. The one thing is I value my solitude a lot. But also I am still interested in listening to people have something to teach me.

In short, how does a new driver find the worth while networking and avoid the morons. Also how can a new driver return the favor when he find a good person to network with? Because as a new driver I feel I don't have much to contribute to the more experienced person. What can rookies do to make it a good relationship?

iceman32 Thanks this.
  7. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Be a friend. Listen and be honest.

TripleSix, meechyaboy and dwells40 Thank this.
  8. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    I understand that much. lol.

It might be a generational thing. I would rather be alone, but still I do appreciate people and their company in healthy doses. Also I assume most other drivers are the same way.

So far in my short career driving I have met a lot of people. Somehow more people know about me then I know about them. The person that seems to be the best wealth of information is the must humble and the guy I am driving with right now. A biker and a little bit older than me. He wears a vest that has patches on it when he rides his bike. He started about 3 months after I did. Before this he was a mechanic.

I have been thinking of a better way to refine my question to make it easier answerable and I can't find one.

Most of the time when I call people or receive a call I don't know what to say. I can listen to people very well, have an ability to read into people and consider their point of view. But when its my turn to speak to... well you may as well be listening to cows in a pasture. It's not how I want to be, but I don't have a tool for that job, yet.

Coffey and dwells40 Thank this.
  9. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    CB handle=Road Name. Giving yourself a road name is about as natural as naming yourself at birth. Others give you a name, you give that name meaning. Putting the name on the door will make you stand out from the crowd, even at a mega. But because of this, you must always bring that A Game.

“How to avoid the Moron.”

That’s actually simple, because all morons follow the same MO. If a driver, within the first 5 minutes of you knowing his existence, starts VOLUNTEERING employment history, walk away. He is a Supertrucker.

You: Good morning.
    Him: Well I’ve been driving for 37 years and I say good morning to you.
    You: Do you think it will rain?
    Him: Well, in my 9 years at Landstar, I believe we’re going to get wet.

See what happened? They ALWAYS do this. Why do you think they feel the need to tell you their employment history? Because they are preparing to talk down to you. The guys you want to meet aren’t going to do this.

A Supertrucker is the bare minimum driver. He’s going to attempt to pass himself off as the cream of the crop. So, he’s going to tell you employment history and how many millions of miles he’s ran. But then, he’s going to make a controversial statement.

Example: “Yeah, can’t make any money out here anymore...we used to make money and it was a lot of fun.”

He’s telling you that he’s at the very top of the profession, and no one is making money. That’s a lie. He doesn’t know how to make money. Or he’s doing everything wrong. Or he won’t go here and can’t get out of bed before 0800. No point in talking to him.
    Now, when you hear this guy popping off at the mouth, look around. The guys you want to hear from will be the guys rolling their eyes at the Supertrucker. They will keep quiet because they have nothing to prove and no interest in engaging in a big pickle contest with a Supertrucker.

TravR1, dwells40 and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  10. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    A few years ago, I was parked out in front of my Harley dealer waiting for them to open. This kid rides up, biracial 19 yrs old at the time. I say good morning to him and we started conversing about the weather and riding and possible road trips in the future. Harley opens up, but the kid and I stay sitting there and talking. Other riders roll in, get off the bikes and walk inside.

Six: Are you observant?
    Kid: I try to be.
    Six: Have you noticed that 2/3s of the riders come in will say a greeting to you?
    Kid: Yes.
    Six: If you carry yourself as a Man, a Man will give you the respect of a Man. If he cannot give you the respect of a Man, it is because he himself is not a Man.
    Kid: True that.
    Six: The last guy that walked by...wearing the MC cut...did you notice that his cut said KuKluxKlan?
    Kid (alarmed) : No...but he said, “hello”...?
    Six: If you carry yourself as a Man, he will give you the respect of a Man. That doesn’t mean that you will be friends.

Anyways, start will a greeting. Make it a habit to look people in the eye and say hello. You will notice that the overwhelming majority of drivers avoid eye contact at all cost. If you carry yourself as a Man...?

11. Cabinover101

Cabinover101 Heavy Load Member

Jul 28, 2019
    So what school? Like a community college or something? Do you have a trucking company in mind or still looking? Some of the mega trucking companies offer total in house training what some of the others were referring to.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.