New Driver Training back in the day, now vs then.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Lonewolf2000, Apr 25, 2019.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I started driving in the mid 60s. There were only a couple of driving schools and nobody I knew went to them.
    In fact, truck driving school graduates were looked down on and generally made fun of.

mustang190, D.Tibbitt and homeskillet Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    No training.
    1987 . Walked into trucking company my brother worked for. When I entered the owner spotted me said "oh, you must be the new guy" he threw me a set of keys .Told me to hop into #16 and get on my way.
    So I did.

D.Tibbitt, homeskillet and bzinger Thank this.
  4. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I got trained kind of gradually in the 80s by a friend leased to DART when I lived in Fargo.
    Back then they were building a coal gasification plant Beulah ND which required lots of insulation so he would pick me up in Fargo and have me drive out and back to Fargo.
    Truck was a 79 white road commode coe 290 Cummins and a 10 speed , rode like a lumber wagon .
    This went on for a couple years and included a couple of 2 or 3 week stints OTR .
    How he slept with me driving I'll never know !
    I slept across the doghouse when the truck was parked overnight...I think he even paid me like 8 cpm lol.
    Dart did not know about that .

D.Tibbitt and Long FLD Thank this.
  5. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    was Quality Control manager of a factory that had 6 wheelers used to fill for extra money.

they went out of business and a friend asked me to help him deliver machines at his place,(6 wheelers). in '84 they asked if I wanted to drive a tractor trailer.

I said sure. Ok go to Salem Leasing,(where we got our trucks), and they will let you play with one.

drove it a few times on weekends and then was told my tractor will be in in a few wks.didn't know one was coming in.lol.

passed the tests and took off 2 weeks later on my new NC to Canada run. thank god it was summer so I could learn to drive it before the snow came!!

homeskillet and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Spend enough time at the lunch counter and u will hear a driver say he came out of the womb with a cdl, never hauled freight for less than 12 dollars a mile !!

7. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    By the way, this was in 1981. I had been around trucks since I was a kid and had been trained by a couple of my uncles that had been driving OTR since the 1940’s. So yes, it was old school training and advice that I still use today.
    And in a lot of instances it is even more applicable today!!

8. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    Aren’t they still looked down upon

9. Lonewolf2000

Lonewolf2000 Medium Load Member

Nov 5, 2017
    New York
    I’m sure he was

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    My dad spent a couple weekends teaching me to shift and how to get around town. Then he drove us up a tine road to top if a mtn and turned around in a wide spot. We switched places and he said if you can drive this truck on this road you can drive anything. If not were dead. Got my class a that week and went to work.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  11. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Where was there any truck driving schools in the 60's, for that matter even the 70's I don't remember even hearing of one.
    Back then it was a little different, hard to explain, but no trucker or company was just going to stick any Tom, Dick or Harry in a truck, they had to see some potential in a person at the very least.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.