New Driver with own authority

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mkbrower, Oct 27, 2021.

1. Vic Firth

Vic Firth Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Indiana

Starting out as a company driver doesn’t mean you have to work for a mega carrier, lots of companies take on inexperienced drivers. Where do you live we can give you some suggestions on companies? You’ve been given some good advice to start out as a company driver so trust that these guys are trying to help you be successful. Trucking is a life style it’s not just a job so you might find out after a month or so this isn’t for you. The secret you’re looking for is called experience.

Dino soar Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Siinman

Siinman Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    So I read through most of the comments already. You will alway get the guys that say You have to have experience. And to some degree I agree with this. Driving honestly is the easiest part of it. If you can get with your people you know and let you toy around with them for a few days and feel comfortable then go for it.

the hard part it knowing what you don’t know. Best way to learn is go head first and pay close attention to ever detail. Most brokers will not work with new companies but a few megas will. After 90 day to 1 years it becomes a lot easier to deal with brokers.

first question I have for you is have you ever been a manager? Are you a self starter and willing to work 80-100 hours a week? If so then you have what it takes to deal with the crazy brokers and paperwork. If not I would really encourage you to find something else.

Next is can you get the equipment you need? Everything is sky high and all new stuff is on back Oder for about a year.

For me I did the CDL school and paid for it on my own. I got a job for like two weeks and then had to move on because of their insurance. Plan was to work for 3-6 months and then go on my own. That changed fast so I just went on my own. I have been a manager most of my career and have felt with shipping freight while doing that. So the paperwork side and dealing with brokers was easy for me.

I have been doing it for a few years now and doing fine. I have a new truck in order and have bought a new dry van since starting. I have had many problems with the truck starting out and has cost a lot of money. But it did not sink me because I was smart enough to save money.

I would encourage you to do it and hopefully you can get the right equipment for a some what realistic price.

Duane0428 Thanks this.
  4. mkbrower

mkbrower Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you! I appreciate some real world feedback. I can only wish I can make that kind of money!

5. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    No insurance is gonna take you on as a new entrant with no driving experience…sorry toy hauler doesn’t count

shooter19802003 Thanks this.
  6. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Progressive will unless they have changed. But that is about it.

Duane0428 Thanks this.
  7. mkbrower

mkbrower Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you for taking the time to write this. This is exactly what I was hoping for. I still have some time before I’m forced to retire so I am trying to learn everything I can and I read a lot.
    Truck prices are a concern to me and I have read about the back orders. Have not figured this one out yet but I expect I’ll get a raw deal on a truck. I have also read about the insurance for new authorities and that two is concerning but I have a perfect driving record going back at least twenty years so I think my cost will run about average for new startups. I’m researching insurance and brokers who will work with new authorities and once again I expect some raw deals for the first three months. Don’t expect to make much but would like to break even at least. I’m not a fan of the electronic logs I will admit but seems manageable.

Duane0428 and Siinman Thank this.
  8. Siinman

Mar 5, 2017
    Kansas City, MO.
    Progressive will most likely be the only one that will give you insurance. I think mine was 22 or 24K for the first year. If you pay it all at first they will give you a good discount. I could not afford to do that when I first started out. I think they require first and last month payment up front min. I signed up with OOIDA and had them set up my authority and used them for all the questions I had. Lots of help when first starting out.

Honestly you will get decent rates if you learn how things work. Once you had MC and DOT number you can get on DAT load board and learn a lot as well.

Duane0428 Thanks this.
  9. mkbrower

mkbrower Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you for your feedback. You seem to know about insurance. How much experience do I need?

10. mkbrower

mkbrower Bobtail Member

Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you! I’ve been with progressive a long time so I’m keeping my fingers crossed they cut me a break. I have heard some payed as little as 12k a year but I was expecting 20-25k. I can pay that up front if they will give me a good discount. Every truck driver I know was in-experienced at one time but some how found an insurance company to cover them.

Duane0428 and Siinman Thank this.
  11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Why not just retire and pull a toyhauler around the country

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.