New Dry Van

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by LoJackDatHo, Sep 17, 2017.

1. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Haven't got the price back on a Dane yet but a "fancy utility" was $35K. Interior lights, two rows of 9 down the sides. SS front and rear. Tire inflation system. 20K lb floor. Probably overkill on the price huh?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I priced a Dane earlier this year with similar specs and it was around $32-$33k. Way to much for me for what I use mine for. Even a new fleet spec is more than I want to spend for what I use them for.

4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Wabash has some pretty cool options. A company called Nussbaum runs wabash with a 35k rating, chain ties in the floor, and can load skidded coils in them. I'm very partial to wabash products. Stoughton makes very good products as well. Great Dane has been mentioned several times and you can't go wrong there either. Depends on what you haul. Great Dane, Stoughton, Strick, Wabash can make a great dry van for any application. I pull reefer and Wabash and Stoughton are high on my radar. Stoughton is releasing a reefer model coming soon.

LoJackDatHo Thanks this.
  5. LoJackDatHo

Jan 26, 2017
    I here ya. So in all your opinions, would a highly spec'd trailer be worth more in resale? Or should I just go standard spec and forget the SS and all the other bs?

6. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    This is cool learning about vans here. Who knew they where so cheap.

nightgunner Thanks this.
  7. LoJackDatHo

Jan 26, 2017
    See and that's where I'm like $35k for new and loaded up trailer, I feel is a deal coming from reefer trailers and all. A reefer loaded up like that would be $80k plus.

Plus I've been power only for last 4 years with good contracts and round trip pay, so this work will be new to me.

And the work I may be getting will be round trip, direct and not cheap, if I get it. So I'm thinking why not. But I need to stay grounded. That's why I'm here looking for good advice from experienced van guys. Basically is it worth it in the long run

8. Roberts450

Roberts450 Road Train Member

Feb 6, 2016
    Stainless steel chemical tankers that are built for pressure offloads and food grade pneumatic trailers is what I have experience with. $125k+ is starting range for our trailers from what I hear. Always learing here.

9. Ristow

Ristow Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2014
    Fema Region 5
    stoughton called me to see if wanted a new trailer a few months back,they were selling plate vans for about 26.5K,which is a decent deal. i have a 2016 hyundai and i think its a pos.

i would get a plate van,with hendrickson or holland suspension. 24" posts. tire monitor and air slide. all the other stuff like lights and wheels,it just adds to the cost and really isn't van specific.

are you gonna be hauling paper rolls? i typically don't haul them because your trailer will get beat up fast. and the rates are a joke. the point is i wouldn't spec a trailer to haul that if you aren't specifically going to do that.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Wow $35,000 for a loaded up van? That's cheap. I couldn't get one under $40,000 when I spec'd it with every possible thing I wanted. I wanted disc brakes and the smart lift axle and that was $6,000 or so extra as I recall. Stainless nose and doors all,the lights, self inflation system, logistics posts on 12" centers, paper spec floors. I think the Dane was $43,000 and the Utility $44,000. Disc brakes are a good choice but pricey upfront spec $2,500 more than drums or were about 3 years ago.

I got mine for $27,500. There was practically no downward negotiation on the price. New trailers at the time were in very high demand. I believe they still are. With hindsight I wish I had financed it. Or actually just kept my older paid for trailer and that big pile of cash. Hindsight is always 20/20. I used to do a lot of lucrative loads that required 10 years or newer trailers. I haven't done very many of those since I bought the new one. Funny how that works. And of course freight tanked right after I bought it. It sits parked for several weeks at a time anymore.

fordconvert, Ruthless and LoJackDatHo Thank this.
  11. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's a van trailer. Once it gets 10 years old the value will plummet no matter what the specs are or the shape it's in. Get a white box with steel wheels and don't spend any more than you have to. Get practical specs if you must have new. Self inflation system, disc brakes, paper spec floors (do you really need that), & plenty of logistics posts. Don't pay cash in full for it. Finance it. Honestly if you could save $15,000 getting a clean 5 year old or newer trailer that's what you should do. Just my O. I'll quit cluttering up your post.

Edited : Wanted to add that side skirts work, so another practical spec there. My van doesn't have them but the reefer I pull does and they do help fuel mileage.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Ruthless Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.