New Entrant Safety Audit

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JohnSmith69, Mar 30, 2020.

1. JohnSmith69

JohnSmith69 Light Load Member

Feb 23, 2020
    I'm freaking out here, I got an email saying they're auditing me. I'm new in this industry and I hardly know what I'm doing. I'm an owner operator and I work on the oil fields in northern Colorado . All of my pick ups and drop offs are within 115 mile radius and I did some research saying that I don't have to have a driver log because my travels are short. Are they gonna put me out of business if I'm wrong about this? Any help would be greatly appreciate

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JohnSmith69

Feb 23, 2020
    I did research and found an 100 "air-mile" exemption rule for short distance hauling, do I fall into this category?

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    You’d think they would have more to worry about now......

Yes I’d claim the 100 mile rule. You still need some kind of record of hours tho.

Dino soar, magoo68, PE_T and 1 other person Thank this.
  5. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017

Are they doing the email audit or at your place of business? I just finished up the email Safety Audit and it was cake walk. Actually just got the letter in the mail today saying I passed.

If it's a first year audit, they wont be trying to beat you down, but rather advise you if you are doing something wrong.

Oh for the record when they did mine here in FL on the Hours they just wanted 30 days of logs and then wanted a handful of receipts to that corresponded to the logs.. but I'm OTR with a MC# not under 100 miles.

JohnSmith69 and 650cat425 Thank this.
  6. JohnSmith69

Feb 23, 2020

They're doing an email audit. They want hours of service records for the past month. Like I said I work on the oil field and our hauls are really short so I was told we don't have to keep track of that stuff. I communicate with dispatch through text messaging so I have all those days on my phone but how do I submit those as records? And there was one day where I went outside my 100 air-mile and I forgot to keep track of the times but again it's in my text messages. Can I just make a paper log for that one day now and submit it?

7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

There are "oilfield operation" HOS and there are "short-haul exemption from Record of Duty Status rules". The short-haul exemption froms RODS or logbook have a few requirements, including essentislly a time-clock (or paper records for start/stop times) and record kept for 6 months, IIRC. This 100 air-mile rule uses "nautical miles". 1 nautical mile = 1.15 statue miles, which are the miles speedometers & odometers measure in the USA. So the "100 air-mile rule" is a 115 statute mile rule. The entire trip from "clock in to farthest distance" must stay within a 115 mile radius of starting point.

Driver must not be clocked in longer than 12 hours, one 2 hour extension is allowed per week. And driver must have 10 hours off-duty, no exceptions before next work period. If you are working under oilfield rules those may, or may not, change the 100 air-mile rule. I don't know how the 2 rules, 100 air-mile and oilfield rules, combine.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Expect an education on the HOS regulations.

You may be asked how you plan to correct the lack of time records.

100 air mile RADIUS means stick a pin in your starting location and measure out 114.63 actual miles by the map scale and draw a circle that far from 'home'...

You are exempt from carrying a log if you stay inside that circle and:

You return to and are released from duty WITHIN 12 CONSECUTIVE HOURS...

You have ten hours off duty before starting another shift

You or your employer maintain a time record showing when you started and stopped work.

IF you go outside that circle [it's really big] you need to draw a log from memory...

IF you work over 12 consecutive hours you need to draw a log from memory and include the 30 minute break...

Having to draw a log more than 7 times in any 29 day cycle requires you to have an ELD.

The time record can be an electronic time clock, punch card, etc maintained at the starting location -or- a tally sheet that includes routing and mileage for IFTA/IRP requirements with start and stop info -or anything else your employer wants to use. Some guys use a RODS page simply showing line 1 from midnight to their start time and line 4 for their time up 12 consecutive hours before returning to line 4 and boldly writing 'TIME RECORD' on the grid....

The time spent 'on duty' must still be measured under the HOS recap of 60 hours in 7 days -or- 70 hours in 8 days.

The 'Exemption' ONLY exempts you from drawing the RODS.

All the other aspects of the HOS are still in place; as you will soon see.

Beaver9 Thanks this.
  9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    Yeah I'd make a paper log of the 1 day.. but are they asking for supporting documents or just your logs? Might be different in your state vs mine (I'm FL) you might not need that stuff unless they asked.. but fuel receipts work as well or BOL's

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.