New FM doesn't give me good hometime

Discussion in 'Roehl' started by Vwal528, Jul 14, 2012.

1. jaxchief

jaxchief Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    I think Kansas makes a good point. I read alot of these posts on this forum and many others that say my company is doing this or they are not doing that.. While i'm sure there are many truths behind these claims, most of it sounds like there is lack of communication to a degree, or one party (not the entire company) involved is not performing as expected or required on any given task in general. In your case, and don't read to much into this as I'm using this as an example, your previous dispatcher(s) would give you the home time you have earned. But this new dispatcher is short changing you, leads me to believe it's not Roehl as a company, but the individual dispatcher. And of course there are avenues to use to correct the situation.

I don't see any company as a whole set out to screw over there drivers. At least not willingly. While i'm sure there are company's that don't exactly do everything in there power to best utilize there drivers to the fullest, as no ceo/owner has a business and intends to screw the driver. Key word intends. As this hurts the company as a whole. Every company has a great deal of money invested into it each driver. Loosing a drive doesn't make good business sense and cost more money to the company in the end.

Again there are always exceptions to the rule and some company's are better than others. It's just some company's do not have the proper training / policys in place on the back end to be efficient in the whole scheme of things. This includes retaining drivers.

JR

Meltom and paoldschool Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bucksandducks

bucksandducks Medium Load Member

Mar 29, 2007
    WI
    I don't think the bigger companies care much about retaining drivers. Roehl has one of the lowest turnover rates and I still had a new student almost every week. It costs a lot of money to have recruiters, trainers, training schools, orientation, damaged equipment from inexperienced drivers, reimbursing CDL schools, and many other things that go along with constantly training new people. It doesn't make sense to me why they don't try harder to keep experienced drivers. Roehl used to bribe a good driver with a new truck if they were going to leave. Now it is a hand shake and a "Good Luck". Most of time it isn't about one thing why someone leaves. It is usually a bunch of little things that keep adding up until the driver has finally had it.

snowman01 Thanks this.
  4. Marranhick

Marranhick Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Terre haute, in
    It sounds to me like the issue is with your Fleet Manager not the company. Keep in mind that Fleet Managers are tasked with your productivity, so it sounds like she is just doing her job. You have done the right thing by letting her know that you would like to stay home for 3 days. However, I would expect that you will encounter this issue each time you go home if there is freight to run. Unfortunately, the trucking industry is different than an 8-5 job where you go home after you get off. Good luck!

5. jaxchief

jaxchief Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2012
    I agree, but i think its more along the lines of they lost sight of how to keep drivers vs not wanting to keep them. But then again im sure there are some companys, no names mentioned, that are in the category of "we will pay are drivers squat, that outta offset training cost (losses) when they leave. Instead of trying to turn a bigger profit from the savings of such costs, by keeping those drivers.

JR

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

6. TheTank

TheTank Heavy Load Member

With Roehl it is very simple, communicate with your FM early and often when hometime issues are concerned. 3 days is 3 days. New FM's want you moving, that's how they "make" their money. You need to show them that you both make more money if the FM keeps YOU happy. I have done 11 days out and taken 2 days off, then taken 3 days off the next time. I was out 21 days and took 5 days. It's all about communication and follow up. My two cents for you.....

paoldschool, Meltom and skyviper73 Thank this.
  7. snowman01

snowman01 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    know the system and work it. You can beat your head against a wall or find a way around it. This is a good example of the latter.

8. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    "Roehl used to bribe a good driver with a new truck if they were going to leave." When Roehl bought my company out I said that i would stay if I got a new truck. I was running a dedicated route to WI at the time so they sent me over to Marshfield and a young lady took me out to the line of 50 new trucks parked, they bought a bunch to beat the new emissions stuff coming into effect, and told me to pick one out. Always remember that you are an adult and this is your profession. If you have a problem with something talk to someone about it. If you don't get a satisfactory answer go up the chain. If you are promised so many days off and its not being met then ask for a meeting with your immediate FM and her/his boss in person at the terminal and sit down and talk about it. If after that you are not satisfied with how things are handled then give a 2 week notice and move on.

9. snowman01

Sep 27, 2011
    North Carolina
    If as part of your contract with the company you are promised 3 days off you should get them no matter what the freight is. When you are on the job run hard, safe and legal. When you are due time off take it and do not settle for anything else. If they promise you 3 days off then they should either live up to it or change the policy.

10. paoldschool

paoldschool Heavy Load Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Mount Jewett, PA
    As a general rule let your FM know when you want to be home next as soon as you come off hometime. That way everyone, your FM the Planners all know when you need to be home next. The 11/3 is not automatic. If you don't tell them you want to go home then they won't send you home. Communicate with your FM, and if that dosen't work goto the FOM for your group. They are just trying to make the most money they can with their investment (the truck and trailer), so you have to understand that side of the coin too. Always try to be flexable, stay out a few extra days once in a while if your FM needs help to cover a load. Build a relationship with your FM so that they understand that you are not just a truck number on the computer screen, that way when they see that number pop up, they also see your face... Just my two cents, but I hope it helps.

dorset and skyviper73 Thank this.
  11. dorset

dorset Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2009
    communication is the key. i make sure my Fm knows that i'm there if she has an emergency and needs me to come in early sometimes. as a result, she's comfortable enough with me to let me take a day extra if i need it on occasion.

what you really need to watch out for though is "take this load through the house . . ." the planners are looking for ways to move freight, and their priorities are there. don't let them use your hometime to schedule loads. if you're always willing to take one day instead of the three you're scheduled for, then you're the one they look for next time they have a short schedule.

say no.

skyviper73 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.