New fuel policy.with Central

Discussion in 'Central Refrigerated' started by sanityfree, Jun 23, 2008.

1. sanityfree

sanityfree Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Sleeper, Volvo
    Just after I started driving, Central introduced their new fuel policy. I don't have the specifics on me, but here's the basics of it.

In the winter months, you are allowed 25% idle time. In the summer months, 30%. Anything beyond that, they will charge the driver for the fuel. Yes, company drivers now have to pay for fuel in company trucks.

The Volvos have ICON or TAS systems in them, but I managed to get a W-9, and it doesn't have any kind of idle control system, thankfully. But by my calculations, 30% idle time means if you run 10 hours that day, you are allowed around 4 hours 15 minutes of idle time. Taking a stab at advanced math, I'm figuring that idling 8 hours after driving 10 will cost me around $10 a night. So I've found a job that will cost me money.

I've tried spending the night with the key on accessory to allow the bunk fan to run, but that got hot real quick, and in the morning, my batteries were weak. The only electrical device I had running was a 325 watt inverter to charge my phone and headset.

Unless somebody has a suggestion, it looks like I get to choose between sleeping comfortably and paying for fuel. I'm going to call Safety in SLC and ask them how I'm supposed to do my job safely when it's 90 degrees in my bunk.

Input?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rixcamp

rixcamp Light Load Member

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Sanityfree, That is INSANE! Seems like alot of trucking companies are with this anti-idle fad. What's gonna happen is that drivers are going to start becoming unsafe on the road after not getting enough sleep. What I suggest is to start telling your driver manager that you're too tired(unsafe) to proceed due to inadequate sleep. If enough of us do that, maybe they'll start getting what safety really means. The carriers are getting away with this crap, and the states that pass the anti-idle laws, because it hasn't become a financial liability yet. Once the carriers get sued by a family who lost their loved ones to a too tired trucker, things may start to change. The same with the cray law makers who craft anti-idle laws. You're lucky to have a truck with no optimized idle, etc. but they'll still track your idle time via the fricking qualcomm. I don't know what's happening to our trucking industry, but it seems to be changing for the worst, and changing rather rapidly! Not sure of the solution, but maybe if we all start refusing to roll because of inadequate rest periods, possiblity it may change. Technically, we have OSHA and DOT regs on our side.

4. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    that is bs, and may be the should switch to another forum of providing for heat and AC..

5. sanityfree

sanityfree Bobtail Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Sleeper, Volvo
    What's the probability of that actually happening? I don't know about other drivers, but I can't afford to sit until something changes. And besides, the sad truth is that there are too many drivers out there who are more concerned with income than safety and are willing to run anyway. Like you said before, Rix, someone is going to have to sue the company before anyone will take notice. This, of course, assumes the truck driver didn't survive the accident either. We all know the company (and the family's lawyer) will point the finger at the driver, claiming the driver knew he/she was too tired to drive, had poor judgement, etc.

It all boils down to a sad, pathetic question: How many people will have to die before something changes?

6. rixcamp

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Sanityfree, I know, my suggestion won't work because we all have to pay our bills, so eventually more and more drivers will be driving while blinded by fatigue. It's a sad testament to what's happening to our profession. Unfortunately, folks getting killed is the only thing that's gonna get any real attention. However, if a driver really IS too tired to drive due to crazy laws and policies, we have an ethical and legal obligation NOT to drive under those circumstances. Messed up situation any way you look at it, bro.

panhandlepat Thanks this.
  7. Jaywalker

Jaywalker Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Beaumont, Texas
    If your company is trying to save fuel expences maybe you and other drivers suggest they set up an account with the (hated by some drivers) idle air company. For the safety of their drivers and to protect the public from tired irratated drivers. It may not be the best solution but it is an option. Or they could pay for Motel rooms for 10 hour breaks and 34 hr resets!!:yes2557:

Good Luck Hate it for ya!!!!

8. rixcamp

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Hey Jaywalker, not bad suggestions! Idleaire just filed for chapter 13 bankruptcy. But make that motel come with a pool! Nice for those 34hr resets!

9. rixcamp

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Oops! i meant to say it filed for chapter 11 bankruptcy. sorry

10. rixcamp

Jun 4, 2008
    seligman,az.
    Also, idleaire was awarded 55.6 million dollars of our hard-earned taxpayers $$ from governmental welfare. Doesn't get any better than that!

11. GadgetGirl

GadgetGirl Light Load Member

May 26, 2008
    AUSTIN, tEXAS
    QUIT! FIND ANOTHER JOB WITH AN APU!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.