NEW GARMIN DEZL 780 & 785

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Wave000, Mar 23, 2018.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Has anybody seen any of the Garmin 770's still in truck stops anywhere?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Never mind, I thought the 770 was sized more like my older 7" model (760?) but seems that my current old 7" model one was the last generation before they started making them them "huge" which concerns me for being able to stay up on the suction mount.

(I thought the 770 was sized smaller then the 780 but seems they're about the same)

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Doing some more reading on Garmin's web site, it seem the traffic available through the Bluetooth link is the same traffic available through the FM traffic decoder, which is Navteq Traffic which is limited to metro areas.

Garmin | NAVTEQ Traffic Coverage

I.e. It doesn't use INRIX/Google so to see traffic in between these Navteq markets, you'll still need Google Maps app with traffic layer turned on.

I was hoping maybe Garmin had contracted with INRIX but this doesn't seem to be the case. However a Bluetooth and cellular data connection is no doubt going to provide more positive connections than you'll get with FM traffic out on the fringes of the FM coverage areas.

But I am curious to know ... say I'm in Hesperia, CA going down into LA County. Will the Garmin (using phone data connection) be aware of traffic in the LA area before I'm actually in the traffic coverage area?

If so, this is going to be a problem if it shows traffic delays 70 miles ahead, but meanwhile there is 2 miles of stopped traffic just 3 miles ahead that it wasn't aware of because it is in a remote area without Navteq coverage.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Many years ago I pleaded with Garmin support to fix the "traffic circle" to display a "greyed out" color when it was NOT receiving traffic. Not display "green" ... the same "green" it displays when it's receiving traffic and all is moving normally. It was very deceiving that way and I can only assume they still have not corrected this issue.

6. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    PFJ would be your best bet, they are last to the electronic party.

I just returned my Rand 540...just way too many screwups to handle; random reboots were the icing on the carp cake.
    The x30 series are the best Rand GPS out there, even my still functioning 5yr old 510 is superior in many ways...

Got another Garmin 780 & am testing it again, getting used to its layout/abilities.

There is no more "traffic circle" status, it has its own optional sidebar & will popup itself whenever it detects traffic along your route.
    Tells you if its mild/heavy traffic, the distance to the congestion, & if there is a sutibly faster route.

It seems that when not in a traffic coverage area, will show screen with status unknown, so it does visibly differentiate between no signal, signal + no traffic & signal + traffic.

Compiling a lot of info & when have time will spill them beans.

Found an 'acceptable' mounting position that we can deal with & am beginning to appreciate it more as i transition from the Rand way of doing things.

*spoiler* I was able to load fully functioning Google maps onto it. WiFi required for use of course.

7. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I tried 2 PFJ's and a Loves, but ended up finding and buying a 770 at a TA in Ohio today.

I'm figuring out a few things too. The GUI is considerably different than my older 570. I wonder if there is still more GUI difference between the 770 and the 780? The size of the 770 seems more manageable than a 780 I saw earlier in the display case.

8. archangelic peon

Dec 15, 2011
    Congrats on an excellent purchase.

The basic navigation is very similar between what I remember of the 770, but the 780 just has more features & options in total within & outside of the navigation.
    (The Android part of it being a major factor, having a customizable home screen & app drawer)

According to the Garmin website, they are neigh identical in dimentions, which I can hardly believe.

This thing just looks & FEELS like a solid brick.
    Its basic size & shape are identical to the 770 but it has a rubberized overmold like a phone case & is even 'stealthier'/low key then any other GPS I have seen, with only a tiny Garmin printed on top.

I could swear the 760 & 770 were much slimmer & sleeker, but I live the rugged 'Pelican case' type feel of the 780.

Most voices are so well done too, I have a hard time deciding between the British or Indian ones.

One other thing I don't remember the 770 having (I might be mistaken) is the auto brightness based on current light just like your cellphone/tablet option.
    It has a small light sensor at the top right facing you & has pretty good dimming algorithms.

You should pick up a 780 from a PFJ & do a side by side, can always return within 7 days.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I'm satisfied with the 770. If for no other reason then an "easy-release lever" unit, versus a magnetic pull release unit that might pull the suction loose (or at the very least stretch the rubber unnecessarily) before it releases from the magnet.

But I am having a problem with Navteq traffic data reporting old and outdated problems that long sense cleared, while Navteq is reporting long delays and sometimes causing the Garmin to calculate unnecessary detours. Seems Navteq is good about putting closures and accidents in and sending them out to the network, but is bad about removing them in a timely manner. I have to still verify with Google Maps Traffic every report of Navteq through the device because it's probably BS information.

10. archangelic peon

Dec 15, 2011
    The traffic on 780 has option for traffic data to either automatically reroute if enough time would be saved or keep it to a manual reroute the operator would need to agree with.

Also had the option to distinguish between reporting major vs minor traffic incidents.

Last night the traffic reported a slowdown 46miles ahead of me on my route so at least its looking a decent amount down the road.
    The rand is a fixed 30mile traffic notification max, while I am not sure of the max Garmin look ahead range.

The lane routing is so much better then the Rand both accurate visual junction photos & accurate voice commands.

One negative I have noticed so far is bogus restricted truck routes; the positive of it is they are clickable & zoom to the exact shaded part of the supposed restricted route so you know what section they are referring to.

In one case there were 5 truck weight limit restrictions on a US route in Jersey; turns out they were just signs for "no uturn for trucks over x tons" which was accurately depicted on map, just didn't apply to route itself.

Same issue with the Penna turnpike, because of a low clearance on the shoulder, the unit wants you to exit off & drive bravo sierra state roads through mountains.

Still is a fantastic unit that i am appreciating more and more, especially the soothing British voice.

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Yesterday afternoon, south of Columbus heading NE to Erie (for my break) my new Garmin 770 was wanting me to reroute from Columbus east over to Cambridge then north up 77 to avoid a supposed "road closure" near Ashland, OH. Google never indicated any issues, anywhere. And you could tell the Garmin to disregard and follow normal route, and it would, until 5 minutes later when it grabbed another traffic update, then it routed around all over again.

Turns out it was a construction area in a 3-lane section where apparently they closed 1-2 lanes for work at night but all 3 lanes were open the entire day.

Hah ... and some are worried about computers assuming the roles of human drivers. If they can't get the simple basics sorted out, they certainly can't deal with the more complex issues.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.