NEW GARMIN DEZL 780 & 785

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Wave000, Mar 23, 2018.

1. kuvanito

kuvanito Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Like I said b4, I returned my dezl 785 and never looked back. I stay with Rand Mcnally 740

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I was going east on 24 towards nooga the other day and at Manchester mine just up and said interstate closed, rerouting. I went up Monteagle the hard way. Found out nothing was wrong but the Garmin. Called and they told me they get traffic from "Here". I was so pissed.

4. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    To be fair, google maps showed plenty road or freeway on-ramp closure that turned out to be wrong. I don’t think I can return google or apple maps.

Davem3TF Thanks this.
  5. Tolmie

Tolmie Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2017
    Then you should know that to get live traffic, it uses Bluetooth with Smart Link app. You can safely turn off hotspot or WiFi.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I told you in an earlier post never to trust the Garmin traffic it receives through WiFi or Bluetooth, without question. You have to cross check with google. 8 out of 10 times it’s reporting false or out dated information. I figured this out the first day I bought it in Ohio. It’s a real weakness in the garmin presently but has great potential once they work out the bugs.

What happens in many cases is it interprets a lane closure as a road closure.

It’s more localized data it pull from FM traffic is more reliable but only for nearby issues.

Also as I pointed out in earlier post. Turn off the option to automatically reroute.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  7. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    It's paired with my phone. I don't use the satellite cord. What traffic does Google use?

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Google uses a blend of sources from what I can gather. I’m not sure what garmin uses via their Smartlink App but it sucks whatever it is.

The smartlink app will look far ahead into your route into bad, outdated, misreported, mis-inputted data and assume it’s correct now and will be 3 hours later when you’re projected to arrive at a given “problem spot”.

Whatever garmin is using to gather and translate construction zone and road incident information, it must be different than what Google uses because Google rarely gets it wrong.

But again I’ll state for the record. If garmin can get the traffic and incident aspect right, and leveraging real-time data via internet, they will have a promising device. But if they don’t correct it soon, they may as well get out of the automotive GPS game and let RM and possibly Tom-Tom have it all.

Trucking in Tennessee Thanks this.
  9. Trucking in Tennessee

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    I have zero faith in being re-routed now. I don't trust it at all. Especially in Atlanta.

10. JNtransport

JNtransport Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2017
    I bought the 785 and took it back. Got the 780 and bought a separate dash cam with it. Seems to be a lot better that way.

Tolmie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.