NEW GARMINS WITH 7”, 8” AND 10” DISPLAYS

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Wave000, May 27, 2020.

1. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

I been using it for a few years. Little common sense i never had any trouble.

Those truck gps some times give you dumb routes. Satellite view you can see if trucks are on a road or not. Only time it sucks is when traffic is backed up and it wants you to jump off and take earl henderson drive through a country club to get back on.

TokyoJoe, RubyEagle and not4hire Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brucesmith

Brucesmith Heavy Load Member

Jun 16, 2012
    I use Google maps as a backup to my gps. I can compare the routing and often Google uses residential streets in a city. Works well for highways. Can take you to alow bridge or a bridge that does not allow trucks.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Once upon a time I was going to buy an oilfield add-on, but never could justify it. I was amazed that the routing to obscure places in Chinchaga, Rainbow/Zama, Red Earth Creek, Wabasca, Athabasca, Fox Creek, Tumbler Ridge, Mount Milligan Mine, etc., without the add-on was always on the money.

Still using my 255W too. :D

And my 50LM... one was free and the other I paid $50 for.

Troy_ Thanks this.
  5. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    I bought OilTrax first, it was pretty good, but PatchMaps blows them out of the water. you can route to LSD numbers, on road and off. it has every pipeline, every lease, every compressor station, every single cutline and lease road ever registered with forestry or the gov't of AB. it's incredible, and well worth the $600 I paid for it. saves a lot of headache getting directions, I just tell customers to give me the LSD and I'll find the spot. way easier than trying to go by buddy's jacked up rig rocket out of calibration odometer because of his 37" tires trying to give me exact mileage to the next turn.

6. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Yeah, if you're using very frequently and it's that accurate; good idea. I don't remember the one I was looking at, and it was a while ago. I did use an online LSD to Lat. Long. converter a lot.

Why do you hate bro dozers? :D

Troy_ Thanks this.
  7. Troy_

Troy_ Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Roma, Alberta.
    lol...I don't hate them, just their small d!ck white oakley flat brim hat tapout/affliction t shirt bedazzled blue jean wearing drivers.

8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Yeah and Google Map will gleefully run you under a low bridge. Put on the big boy pants and get the tools for the job instead of half-ashing it

RubyEagle and fishonron Thank this.
  9. jtaran06

jtaran06 Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2007
    western ky

Those Garmin and rand will as well. None of them are set it and follow it.

TokyoJoe Thanks this.
  10. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Maybe, but Garmin 770, 780 et al are 1000 times better for truck navigation than Google Maps. The stakes are too high to cheap out on GPS

11. TokyoJoe

TokyoJoe Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2015
    I still have the 770. WTF is the point for charging so much more for newer versions? Hell, 1/2 the time I don't follow the gps anyway. That thing misses a lot of routes that would save 50+ miles.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.