New gas hauler needing advice

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by MrJack, Nov 26, 2018.

1. MrJack

MrJack Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Today it was raining and I made a delivery. When I stuck my tanks and wiped the stick some drops fell from my rag, after I was done it looked like I dumped fuel everywhere. Any tips for delivering in the rain? How do some of you not even drip. Seems inevitable to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    If stuff is dripping from your rag its water not gas. And I'm not sure how you got from "a few drips" to "looked like you dumped fuel everywhere". If it's gas, don't worry about it. If it's diesel, try to be more careful. If I deliver diesel I cap my hose over the pot and carry my downspout back to the truck in a bucket. I don't leave a single drop of diesel on anyone's property.

magoo68, MartinFromBC and REO6205 Thank this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Wipe your stick over the fill ........ and try to send the drips into the containment well ..........

MartinFromBC and REO6205 Thank this.
  5. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    They already answered your question, so I won't repeat it.
    I assume you carry two sticks, if not always dip all gas tanks first. Then dip the diesel, then dip it back into a gas one. The reason being readability. If you dip into diesel first its very hard to read the gas dips. By dipping into gas last it simply helps clean the diesel off a bit, that over the years turns the stick black and grungy, and eventually makes it very hard to read. If you learn a stations habits and which tanks are usually lowest, dip those first, so the wet mark keeps getting higher, again easier to read. Most places may almost fill reg gas and diesel, but only want a little bit of mid grade and premium in the ground, as they sell less of it. Walk the dump hose out really well from the truck end every time, spend the extra minute to get it well drained. Tight fills go in a rubber tote on my truck, they drip seemingly forever if you just carry them around. As a part of truck maintenance when washing the outside, its a good idea to occasionally wash the cabinets out as well. It doesn't take long for them to get disgusting inside. If you have the walk on top tanks and I assume you do, about once a year haul the hose up there and wash out the drain tubes to. They can eventually get so plugged up with leaves and junk they just won't drain the footwell in a rain storm. And don't ever become lazy and only start closing your snap closed internals, always close the turn valves as well. I get pissed off when someone gets lazyxand doesn't close both. And lastly before i forget, when mixed loads as they so often are, double check the load chart before you dump, never trust your memory after you have driven many hours to a station. Nothing worse than getting it wrong and dropping the wrong hole into a tank. Don't ask me how i know this. I was young then and thought my memory was great. Right until after about 2 years of hauling fuel i dropped diesel into a mid grade gas tank. Not sure if i will ever stop kicking myself for that, and it was about 28 years ago. Worth mentioning if you do much pumping through your metered hose reel if you have one, learn how much it takes to clear the hose when switching product, and remember that number. Then always do a proper hose flush, don't short cut it. This only applies if you have a metered hose reel and pto pump set up, not just gravity drop. I do a lot of pumping work, and so its relevant for me
    Or better yet if you have a two reel and 2 meter set up you're laughing because you have a dedicated gas and seperate diesel reel. Most trucks don't have that luxury. Enjoy fuel hauling, its my second favorite thing to haul.

Rodeorowdy, spindrift and magoo68 Thank this.
  6. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Veeder root or bust .........

7. MrJack

MrJack Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2018
    Thank you for the advice everyone. And Martin I'm a local guy so I go to multiple stations a day, no long drives. I also pull the veeder root most every time. I believe there are only a couple stations in our area that I have to chart. Or if the veeder thing is broke lol

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  8. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    Baby powder is your friend.

9. 379_largecar

379_largecar Light Load Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Louisville, ky
    I made tags out of clips and cow ear tags. Color coordinated to the product i hauled on mixed loads. Never had a cross drop

10. SoCalRed

SoCalRed Medium Load Member

Feb 7, 2017
    CA
    Don’t see why worry about a few drops of gas from your stick. No one will notice it in the rain anyway. Like someone else said don’t spill diesel as it makes a mess. You’ll be fine.

11. cjb logistics

cjb logistics Heavy Load Member

Aug 13, 2016
    Liberal Ks
    Carry a bottle of dawn, sheen will disappear.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.