New Grad, 1st Job Search, Application Frenzy

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Güera, Feb 10, 2018.

1. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Another thing that Maverick has is securement jobs. They pay like 20 bucks an hour to secure loads and drive them around the yard. Basically a yard spotter. Personally, that's not enough money by a lot for me to secure loads all day long :p

One good thing about flatbed is that if you need to, you can haul other types of trailers with another company. But if you don't have flatbed experience, you can't take your van/reefer experience and just couple to a skateboard and go, without a week or more of specific flatbed training.

Güera and motocross25 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Maverick regional actually does get you home on weekends, or they will pay you for 800 miles for staying out over the weekend. Most people are home for at least a 34 hour restart and a lot of them are home 50-55 hours depending on what the freight looks like. And you can take the truck home as well. I know a lot of people who drive for Maverick and swear they'll drive for no other company.

Güera and motocross25 Thank this.
  4. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Heck yes that’s a good enough reason haha. Search Dale Clay on YouTube. He has a very interesting and informative blog on his time at Maverick all the way from training. And he lives in St. Louis too. You’re right, he gets home every weekend no problem. The steel mills in Granite City help. As does the central location St Louis sits from Little Rock to Chicago it seems.

Güera and RedRover Thank this.
  5. motocross25

motocross25 Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    @RedRover again brings up an excellent point. When these companies advertise home weekends. A lot if not most means a “truckers weekend” Friday night rollin in Sunday evening leaving. So when they do advertise that ask them exactly what they mean by “home weekends” he’s also correct in saying about Maverick, especially in the freight lane you are in by St Louis and right next to their terminal. The likelihood of you parkin it Friday and not seein it til Monday goes up exponentially

Güera and RedRover Thank this.
  6. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    Thanks again for your invaluable time!
    Maverick offered a full blown regional driving job and has one of the top offers for training pay. I love that they’re so near to me.

$20 an hour would be okay with me honestly. That’s all I need provided I get bennys. I’m not looking for much pay wise, more into the benefits and retirement. However, I wouldn’t refuse the driving offer I was offered easily and I wasn’t offered securement. They did recruit from my school and the instructor I questioned said he had a good experience with them. Honestly, they were the first I applied with.

I thought along the same lines I think you’re speaking, that flatbed exp would supersede dry van but I would need reefer (which @Chinatown recommends). I’m getting tanker, doubles and triples Tuesday and fingerprinting for hazmat. Just to cover my bases.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  7. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    @RedRover ¡¡¡Gracias!!!! You’re a peach! Thanks for your time and consideration today. Both Maverick & McElroy are saying midweek quickie and weekend hometime.

One of my instructors swore by them (Maverick) as well.

Thanks!!!

8. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    Totally - while it’s generally an ugly area to live in its ideal to suit my purposes and has opportunities for me. I’ll check his videos out ASAP.

THANK YOU!!! Again!!!!

motocross25 Thanks this.
  9. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    @motocross25 - you’re epic and I hope you know it.

I’ve just graduated but have been reading the boards since last summer. I’ve run across a lot of your posts for my specific search inquiries and thank you for those and the responses to mine. You’re a gem!

I’ve been researching which companies use 34 hr resets as a cheat to home time, you make a good point for myself and anyone reading this now or in the future - I’d rather be home 2-3 days than a ‘truckers weekend’. That’s also something I try to remember to ask when interviewing my interviewers but often forget.

While this isn’t the ideal area by most standards to live in its pretty great for hiring and freight it seems.

Thanks again.

motocross25 Thanks this.
  10. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    Greetings Guera..!!
    These days is all about the Insurance companies requirements. Be patient.....!
    Once you place the application, give Two days and call them Live...for an Status Update.

Güera and Need4Speed Thank this.
  11. RedRover

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    You can take 4 days at Swift. They say one day off per week you are out, but I know PLENTY of people who would tell their FM they were going home for a couple of days and then just kept pushing it out. Swift says they will have you turn in the truck and get put in a new truck when you come back if it's going to be more than 4 days, but when I was dedicated I took 6 days once with not so much as a phone call asking if I was dead. At Swift you can push the home time really as long as you want, so long as you're not rejecting the loads they are sending and you keep an updated PTA. If you're not available, planners won't send loads. With a smaller company, they will definitely want that truck utilized.

I'm actually surprised that home time isn't something that recruiters aren't trying to preemptively lie to you about without being prompted. That's normally their go to lie, that you won't have to work at all, you'll only be doing drop and hook and you won't ever have to do anything but drive. I can tell you now, local or otherwise, that's a #### lie. If you choose an OTR company with a lot of terminals, I'd have my home terminal set on the west coast, or as far away from your actual home as possible--because they tend to do anything they possibly can to keep you far from home. Then they inadvertently send you home, and you're like well guys, I'm gonna take a few days. Later :p

Güera Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.