New Grad, 1st Job Search, Application Frenzy

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Güera, Feb 10, 2018.

1. jaxwinner

jaxwinner Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2017
    Barton Arkansas
    The Maverick yard in Little Rock seems like it never sends out its trucks. Every time I drive by there I see the yard and parking full of trucks just sitting there. Also while driving I rarely see a Maverick truck on the road. Just my 2 cents...

Güera Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    Thanks so much @jraulpilot1998
    Patience is a virtue, I should be more virtuous. :)
    I’ll definitely give my local apps a call on Monday to follow up.

jraulpilot1998 Thanks this.
  4. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    Heya @RedRover - thanks again! I haven’t applied with or considered Swift, but it’s good to hear your experience with them and your dose of reality.

Surprisingly yes - recruiters are not painting pretty pictures of home time for me. Scary, if the dismal outlook they’re painting is best case scenario.

So far, in talking with OTR companies, I feel like I’m being sent overseas. Lol.

RedRover Thanks this.
  5. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    If you don’t mind tanker work and can get the endorsement, Loves is always hiring local drivers to haul DEF. non hazmat.

Güera Thanks this.
  6. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    Thanks for responding @jaxwinner !
    I live near their St Louis terminal and often see trucks in this area. At school our yard was across from a Pilot/Flying J and I’d see those purple trucks in and out all day.

That’s really odd that you’re not seeing many. Do you run all over or in a particular region?

Maverick isn’t my final choice. I don’t know who is right now.

Is it a bad sign to not see many? Bad miles?

7. Güera

Güera Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Belleville, IL
    I wouldn’t mind tanker work and have inquired with Love’s. They would like me to have hazmat regardless - I get the prescreening fingerprints Tuesday. Do you happen to know how long it takes between prints and approval to get the endorsement?

I’m going to add tankers and doubles/triples endorsements Tuesday while I’m out running the hazmat errand.

8. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    The time it takes varies. Maverick OTR does run all 48(glass division also runs Canada) but for all intents and purposes, Maverick rarely runs west of I25, which is entirely east of the Rockies. They also generally stay west of I75 for the most part. They will go outside of those areas and I’ve seen them everywhere I go, but flatbed rates aren’t great out west. It’s not as profitable out there. You get great rates out there, but almost run for free to get your drivers back out of the west coast.

9. jraulpilot1998

jraulpilot1998 Medium Load Member

Aug 20, 2014
    All over U.S.A
    First time Hazmat / Homeland Security Background check may take up to 60 & 90 days. It all depends in many factors and variables. Happy Trails..!!

10. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

Make sure you are calling the local companies. Everybody wants to do everything by email or websites. The smaller companies don't have time or people for that. You should probably walk in to the companies if you really want to work local.

Check with Averitt Express. They are good place to work if you fit in (Boy or Girl Scout do best).

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Güera Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Not at all. It is only those who you agree to be employed by and then never show up is what will ding you in the future.

By the way, apply to those who require a hazmat, they may still hire you and will wait for your hazmat endorsement to be added.

Güera Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.