New guy looking for direction

Discussion in 'Hazmat Trucking Forum' started by Truckingdaytrader, Jan 30, 2023.

1. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    If you don't really want to relocate--and would prefer instead to avoid the hassles & headaches involved with all that...one option you could try....is to sign up with Swift:

We offer truck driving jobs with CDL training. Connect with us to start your career with Swift as a professional truck driver today!

Swift has a terminal located in Lathrop, Ca.

So that means you're closer to the nearest Swift facility....than I was to the nearest Schneider terminal (my first carrier).

And Swift is very much in the business of hiring & grooming new CDL holders--JUST WHAT YOU NEED!!! :D

Yeah...they may not pay you the most, starting out....but that, vs the costs (direct, & indirect) of relocating may well make them a worthy starting point.

That terminal shows they do both dry van, & dedicated duty there--again, JUST WHAT YOU NEED!!! :D

Also--depending on your local circumstances--Swift would very likely let you take your assigned rig home with you, for your time off.

You could put in 12+ months there, then re-evaluate your situation...vs other available local area opportunities you'd qualify for at that time.

The above assumes of course that Swift is currently hiring...& also hiring at that location.

Think about it......:cool:

--Lual

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
    Truckingdaytrader Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Truckingdaytrader

Truckingdaytrader Light Load Member

Dec 27, 2022
    Thanks for the idea. Not sure if you've ever been out that way... I have. I'd probably rather curl up in the bathtub with a plugged in toaster then live anywhere near that place. I am more interested in moving closer to San Francisco, San Deigo or, God forbid, LA.

4. 201773

201773 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Hazmat Containers.

They require tanker endorsement as well.

Not sure about CA, but I made $1380.00 a week fresh out of CDL school pulling containers with Hazmat, Tanker, and TWIC.

5. Truckingdaytrader

Dec 27, 2022
    Where? And was that for 40 hours or with OT?
    That would be a tight budget for Cali, depending on where you live. I could make due for 6-12 months. Here after 1-3 years hazmat tankers make $110k+

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  6. 201773

201773 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2020
    Philadelphia, with the account based in Columbus, OH. Penn Terminals specifically.

Obviously where you live that isn't an option but with all the container traffic in CA I'm sure there is something.

We pulled all kinds of Hazmat container loads that were liquid shipped in IBC totes, which required tanker endorsement.

7. 201773

201773 Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2020
    I was regional, home every weekend. Started at 60 cents a mile as rookie and ended up at 70 cents after 18 months.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    No one is really suggesting that you move to/near there (Lathrop).

In my case--when I started out in the CDL world, the nearest Schneider terminal was about 4 hours away from where I still live--& in a real-ly sucky part of Atlanta. :eek:

But....to get started (& we all have to start s-o-m-e-where)....I made it work.

Again--because it's a dry van situation--Swift will likely let you take the rig home with you.

So....after you do your training--you wouldn't necessarily have to go back to Lathrop each time, to begin your home time.

Sure...it's not perfect...but it IS a start.

A bonus: with Swift--you'll actually get a reasonable amount of time out with a trainer.

With Schneider--I got less than a week. :(:rolleyes:

-- Lual

9. Truckingdaytrader

Dec 27, 2022
    So, I don't understand... they would let you drive the truck 4 hours home and 4 hours to the terminal, dead head, on their dime for fuel?

10. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    In my case--Schneider had so much freight, in so many places (& I'm sure they still do) that they had freight for me to pick up/drop off on my way back home, for home time--with very little real "deadhead" miles. Thus, most of the time, I was able to park reasonably close to home.

And ditto...for going back out on duty, after my hometime. Plenty of "action" for me to work...on my way back out.

That's yet another advantage that the "megas" have...that you never really hear about (since everybody's having too much "fun" bashing them)--they have so much freight, in so many places...that they are able to keep you busier...vs the smaller carriers.

It's very reasonable to predict/assume you would have a similar experience...with Swift.

With all that in mind--a carrier like Swift is not a bad place to be in a recession. As freight dries up elsewhere (e.g., FedEx just announced another round of furloughs), the "big dogs" are more likely to keep you running.

I learned that the easy way...with Schneider. :D

--Lual

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.