New guy needing advice. Millis or Wilson Logistics

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by HaglerFan, Jul 13, 2020.

1. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    I know @JOHNQPUBLIC is on straight pay with Millis he can give you few more details about it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. HaglerFan

HaglerFan Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2020
    That would be great, thank you for your help.

4. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    Yes they encourage per diem pay but you are not forced to take it or penalized if you do not. I have never had any issues for being on straight pay and I prefer it for all of the reasons you mentioned. That .07 per mile is a big hit and not worth it. I also consulted with my tax guy and he advised against it as well.

If you drive the Millis "average" of 115,000 miles per year that .07 adds up to $8,050.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    Reason for edit: Spelling
  5. HaglerFan

Jun 19, 2020
    Three weeks vacation, etc,sounds good but like most people, I'm in it to do work and get paid. I'll vacation when I retire.

I like in Central Texas, Millis is everywhere, do they run 35 north to south?

6. packersfanmw87

packersfanmw87 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    Yeah the per diem versus straight pay is a tough but to crack. Depends on your situation and it is really hard to get a perfect comparison on what take home pay ends up being. I believe you can switch between the pay structures but I'm not sure how that affects accruing vacation time or anything.

Coragran, JOHNQPUBLIC and HaglerFan Thank this.
  7. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    It is 3 weeks the first year and then drops back to 2 weeks until I believe year 5. I take vacation time, I just do not get paid for it. I look at it this way, say I would get $1,000 a week for my vacation. That is 3k for the first year and then 2k until year five. I would still be 5k behind on year one and 6k until year 5 based on my earlier post about what the .07 more per mile can mean.

Yes we run north/south on 35, go east towards Georgia and there is a TX Regional Division out of Burleson, TX. Pay structure is different for the regional jobs and I cannot offer insight on that.

Coragran Thanks this.
  8. HaglerFan

Jun 19, 2020
    Burelson is where I am slated to start, I'm excited.

9. packersfanmw87

packersfanmw87 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2019
    West Allis, WI
    I'd love to see a breakdown of this per diem versus straight pay. Isn't that seven cent difference made up in tax savings? The paid vacation is enticing but the more take home is the ultimate question for me. I still can't get a good comparison.

10. HaglerFan

Jun 19, 2020
    Several things, if you do suffer an injury and need workers comp, the amount will be lower due to your actual "income" will look lower, plus the less you show, the less social security you will earn, in the future, and if you want a loan for a house, if you were paid $75k but only $55k shows as income, then that can affect you getting a loan or even the size of the loan given.

11. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    When I was at Millis I tried both....I brought home $100 a wk on average LESS on straight pay than I did on per diem so I switched back to per diem.

Also as for buying a house that's not true. I just bought a house last yr and gave the banker my weekly paystubs and we and told her what the per diem was and she included it into my income since I could show i was bringing it home every week.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.