New here with a Question reguarding CDL Transfer to Texas

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by DsJoeZepeda, May 18, 2009.

  1. DsJoeZepeda

    DsJoeZepeda Bobtail Member

    May 18, 2009
    Santa Clarita, Ca
    Hey guys, Glad to be here.

    I have lurked a few times here and there, especially when i was getting my license 3 years ago and I check in on current trucking issues.

    The reason I finally joined is because i can't find this answer so here I go, and I hope this is in the right forum.

    I have a CDL in California. My Career is a Hollywood Teamster (399)... with the writers strike and actors working their deals I have since taken a job with a great company but in an office envrionment (BORING! :biggrin_25518: )... but it pays the bills for now.

    They are re-locating and they want me to go with them to Texas. Im all for it!... If im flying to a movie, it makes no difference if i fly out of CA or TX...

    Im coming up short with a clear answer on my CDL. I need to retain it because I don't plan on this office job forever (Hopefully only another year or so)...

    Ive read that some states require you to re-take the written and if you have a hazmat you basically have to retake everything.

    I just have the plane jane CDL... no other endorsements.

    Any information would be very appreciated. Thanks

  2. witchwaywest

    witchwaywest Medium Load Member

    Dec 8, 2007
    Monroe New York
    In your case,submit proof of identity,complete the forms and pay the fees.Surrender your old CDL(must be current,not expired)Search Texas DPS.When there,hit on ,Driver FAQ's.Once there,hit on commercial driver license.Hit on "How do I transfer my CDL to Texas".This will answer your questions.
  3. northstarfire0693

    northstarfire0693 Medium Load Member

    Jul 1, 2006
    You will be ok on the transfer with no haz-mat on your CDL. I used to have mine from TX.
  4. lonewolf4ad

    lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

    Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    Texas will be easy to transfer to. You just need to go down to your local DPS office and get your new license. You will have to show your medical card as well, make sure that the person only CLIPS your current license and doesn't take it away. Texas does a paper permit until your permenant license comes in the mail.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted