New horizons with Holland Enterprises (Fargo,ND)

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by chowick1966, Feb 19, 2014.

1. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Are the 16 and 17's programmed with the nation's road topography like this 18? Where they kick it into coast just prior to knowing where the crest is? It's a very nice feature that certainly helps optimize fuel burn, being aware of mile-by-mile grades across the nation as well as having the built in inclinometer and looks at your approx gross weight and downshifts accordingly to make optimal use of the engine brake at the right time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dharok

Dharok Medium Load Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Wow that sounds fancy... Definitely getting ready to drive themselves in the so not far future (I know you don't think so) but it is interesting to know all those data grabbing capabilities. That with our cameras recording all of the roads and what not...

And no my 16 doesn't have it, doubt the 17s do as well.

4. Balakov100

Balakov100 Road Train Member

May 10, 2012
    Temple, TX
    It goes into E Coast but doesn't seem very smart about it.
    Then it takes forever to cut back in once the speed drops.
    I leave it in manual most of the time because of it.

5. Dharok

Jun 10, 2015
    I never messed with the manual until very recently I got tired of it downshifting 2 gears to hit 21/2300 rpms when engine braking... So i started to put it in manual and just doing one gear ds and it worked like a manual haha. I keep it in performance or foot to the floor... If you don't notice it, it likes to stay at 63mph and takes forever to hit 65...
    I really wish we could do 68-72mph... Preferably 70-72... Lol. I'm so tired of this babysitting.. only option being to brake because you can't pass these slow distracted people.

Is it me or does it seem in a lot of places people drive like they don't want to get to where they're going? I'm talking about cars now... Another benefit of the 68-72 is you can get away from the 65.5/66mph crowd... Had this dude trying to pass my the other day at 66.. holding up the line forever.. I hate having to slow down to let him pass but I do so to prevent further roadrage from cars behind him...

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    So the 16's and 17's do eCoast or you have an 18? I've not ran any auto until this 18 so I have very little perspective on them. But I have no real problems with these early on into my learning and adjustment phase.

About a month in and I still occasionally try to press the clutch pedal that doesn't exist or reach for the shifter that's not there.

7. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Freightliner has a video out showing how it has a sensor knowing when to have it ready for next hill..

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    It has more than a sensor, it is also location, direction and terrain awareness map database. It's reading the data up to 1.5 miles ahead. It will kick to coast just prior to the crest but not so far ahead as to drop below the "low target cruise threshold speed".

On the grade heading down into Phoenix from Flagstaff, it was interesting to watch it prepare for an increase in the grade you can see it approaching ahead, it downshifts just prior to the additional drop off. And it upshifts and decreases the braking ahead of the dip before you actually start up a little rise ... actually pretty smart and helps your confidence in the system.

At present we are allowed to adjust the over speed and under speed threshold from the default 2 MPH, we can also adjust the following distance warning indicator which is nice in different traffic scenarios where traffic is continually rolling in and out of your forward space. In rolling hills on the interstate, I'll bump it to 5 MPH over speed.

9. Dharok

Jun 10, 2015
    Adds a new meaning to steering wheel holder... (Not trying to insult you in any way). I think in the models yet to come we will become more and more that. If I had that 18 I'd be wishing for a lane assist system or something just so I don't have to hold the wheel anymore... I'd just take over on major cities to deal with the wild motoring public lol...

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Most of what I'm seeing in the technology is related to fuel savings. I got not problem with Holland saving a significant wad of money (at least 1 mpg over my old 10 speed stick). He takes care of his drivers at the end of the day.

But yes, "auto-drive" is coming at some point on select roads under select conditions, and that's fine too.

jeff18 Thanks this.
  11. Dharok

Jun 10, 2015
    Yeah I don't mind either.. unless I'm driving a Pete 389... I don't want to drive stick anymore. What's the point? Lol so save fuel away..

jeff18 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.