New Hours Of Service

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by m15063, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Not entirely true. One has the OPTION of using a 34 hr reset to gain the entire 70 hrs back in one shot, or using a recap which means they pick up hours they used 8 days ago each day and continue to drive. No one is require to take a 34 hr reset... It is purely an option. Ever since this 34 hr reset thing showed up on the scene, a lot of people somehow got the idea that it is required in some way.

Like last night. I used up all my 70 hrs by the time I got parked and called it a day. I picked up 8.25 hours at midnight from 8 days ago, so will head out here in a little while and finish up the delivery. Not require to take a 34 reset.

horsecrazychic22 and Superhauler Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    what he said^^^^^^ the way I look at it is the first day hours drop off and then that is what you have to use on the 8th day and on and on and on.

horsecrazychic22 Thanks this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Since point 6 was already mentioned, I'll address the other points....
    You are allowed 70 hours ON-DUTY time before you cannot drive any longer in that 8 day period.

A driver can work any time, not just 14 hrs. Hell, if his body could handle it he can work 100 hours straight. He cannot, however, drive after the 14th hour.

Well, there is split sleeper berth, but in general this is true....

One cannot drive after 8 hours ON-DUTY (not just driving) without taking a 30 minute break.

-Steven

25(2)+2 and horsecrazychic22 Thank this.
  5. horsecrazychic22

horsecrazychic22 Medium Load Member

Aug 21, 2015
    The beautiful state of Oregon
    I have PeopleNet. Nothing with this program is easy. Lol. Qualcomm had the answer any day or time. PN, not so much!

6. horsecrazychic22

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you! I do know all the rules, just couldn't figure out what day I was getting back. I was also looking at day one thinking it was Tuesday of last week. But my first day was actually Wednesday. So I used up all my 70 and am now waiting til midnight and I can get back last Wednesday, tomorrow!

Thanks again!

7. horsecrazychic22

Aug 21, 2015
    Thank you guys so much! Part of my problem was I was looking at April 27th and thinking it was last Tuesday! Needless to say I found an error in my favor and my safety guy was able to fix it. I wasn't illegal and I didn't falsify it. The peoplenet has a mind of it's own and kept me logged on duty when I wasn't. So I made my delivery today on time and now I don't have a load til tomorrow which I can use up my 7 hours I'll be getting back and then finish the trip on Friday with the 11 hours I'll be getting! Not to brag, but I feel I did a pretty good job. 69.57 hours used from last Wednesday til today. And I drove 3701 miles. :)

8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    yeah, there ya go!

9. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    http://truckerlifestylepro.com/new-trucker-questions/hos-new-73-hour-rule-might-coming/

[​IMG]

HOS-New 73-Hour Rule Might be Coming

Let’s make the hours of service even more confusing, then for good measures let’s throw in a 73-hour 7-day work week.

73-Hour 7-Day Work Week
    Can we possibly have anymore confusion with the hours of service! I’m telling you our government just can’t get anything right, and the confusion that comes with the hours of service is ridiculous. I am going to try and break this down as best I can for all of us to understand the nightmare that is going on.

We all know that the new rules that came out in 2013 crippled our 34 restart usage, and basically made it worthless depending on what time you started it. The new rule stated we had to have 2 nights of rest that included to time periods of 1 am – 5 am. Depending on what time you started, you could have been on a restart for longer than 50 hours. In most cases you would have had enough hours recapped to continue driving by the time your restart ended. Kind of pointless, don’t you think!

The ruling also included a 30-minute break and left the original 11/14/70 alone. Through a lot of debate and confusion the senate stepped in and demanded FMCSA to do a study on the new 34-hour restart, and until they completed this study the 34-hour restart would go back to the original rule, thus and actual 34-hour restart.

So, here is when it starts to get really stupid now that the senate has jumped into the equation. As of right now the senate has passed a new ruling and correction on the 34-hour restart that will be implemented into the new THUD bill or omnibus bill assuming they can’t pass the THUD again.

Basically after a lot of research that I’ve done, this is how I comprehend this non-sense. If the FMCSA can’t prove the new 34-hour restart is safer than the old one; the old one will come back to replace the new restart regulation.

Now, this is the interesting part of the new proposed crap our government is doing, and this includes a 73-hour 7-day work week. Now, in order to get the 73-hour work week, you would of had to complete a 34-hour restart. Hmmm, LOL, and here is the kicker; there is nothing stating a cap on the 73-hour work week, so as far as I can see, just do a 34-hour restart and you have a 73-hour work week for ever, LOL. I’m sure they will fix that by the time it passes, if it does pass.

The way this is suppose to work is; you take a 34-hour restart and automatically will be given 73 hours of total on-duty time to work in 7 days, and this works on a sliding basis. Midnight the following night you get another day, so basically you will be recapping. This sounds like it will benefit us, but that isn’t the issue here. The issue is our government can’t make sense of anything.

Is it so hard to say drivers can drive “x” amount of hours in a 24 hr period, and then we are required to take a 10 hr break. The 14 hr rule is the problem here, this takes away flexibility that we need to drive safely. Well, anyway, we can only hope our government can get it right sometime before I’m dead. Drive safe everyone.

[​IMG]
    Author: Ted Andrews
    I did 10 years as a United States Marine, I then went on to get my Masters Degree in Business, and now I have been driving a truck for 6 years. What a roller-coaster ride, LOL. I am really getting into the health related subjects, so feel free to follow along, and if you have and questions, concerns, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me. View all posts by Ted Andrews

[​IMG]
    Author Ted Andrews Posted on May 8, 2016

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.