new info. on Melton truck lines

Discussion in 'Melton' started by Dixieland Delight, Feb 14, 2011.

1. Dixieland Delight

Dixieland Delight Bobtail Member

May 27, 2009
    Seville, FL
    I was just wondering if there were any Melton drivers with recent info. on them.I am thinking about going to work for them but i need to make decent money.So i was wondering about miles...Miles=Money

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Angie1234

Angie1234 Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Give a call to the company to get the current average productivity. We try to have the most accurate information available to you so you can make an educated decision based on your financial needs. You'll find with the base pay, tarp pay, fuel bonus, premium pay for Canada and HM, you wont have to run as many miles to make more money than most. 800-635-8669.

4. Dixieland Delight

Dixieland Delight Bobtail Member

May 27, 2009
    Seville, FL
    Thanks Angie1234,i talked to a recruiter last week and she said an average of 2500 miles a week.But i know how that goes.

TDriver4Life Thanks this.
  5. wpmclam

wpmclam Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2010
    Venus, TX
    I'm going to orientation in mesquite, tx on Monday. Never done flatbed before but im excited.

6. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    wpm...Russell is a real good guy, you'll learn a lot and he's easy going.. I did my orientation there as well.

Dixie, average is 2500 yes. But, its trucking and freight is always changing. I'd say the average of 2000-2500..

7. wpmclam

Feb 8, 2010
    Venus, TX
    I completed my first day of orientation today. Passed the road test and looks like we will be starting securement training tomorrow.

8. wpmclam

Feb 8, 2010
    Venus, TX
    2nd day nearly complete. Did tarping and untarping. That is some tough work. You flatbedders already know of course. I'm sure it will get me in shape though.

9. jellybean

jellybean Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Central MD
    How long is orientation and how long are you going to be riding with a trainer?

10. wpmclam

Feb 8, 2010
    Venus, TX
    Melton doesn't have trainers. Or so they say. Orientation is 4 days. Maybe 5 if you need more practice with load securement. They say we'll have our trucks Thursday.

11. Noggin

Noggin Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Houston, TX
    There are no trainers. When you get your truck, they will (at least my group) give you the name/truck number of a 'mentor' you can call if you have any questions. wpm, you are in Sunnyvale so you have Russell. You'll notice he gets calls a lot..you can also call him if you have any questions. I've done it a few times and he is always glad to help. You have 4 days of orientation. If your truck isnt ready by day 4, you can come in day 5 and do some stuff. If you get your truck, most likely they'll get you under a load. That's how it went for me. Although my orientation was a day behind cuz I started July 5th.

wpm, it will get you in shape, but you also get used to it. I was struggling my first few loads (drive a van for a few years and you dont realize how lazy you get lol), but now I'm not having much trouble with tarps/chains yadda yadda. A lot of times you will be loading with other Melton drivers. I'd say a good 60% of my loads so far have either picked up or delivered with other Melton drivers. Ask questions/advice, ask for help, offer help (you may not offer much, but a hand is always appreciated, plus you'll see how the other driver does things). It doesn't even have to be a Melton driver. I've asked a few old timers for help and they gladly assisted me. I think the comraderie of trucking has gone to crap recently, but flatbedders still seems to be a kind of brotherhood, drivers helping other drivers and what not...

trailertrashtrucker and hismith Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.