New International A26 12.4L Engine

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Cowpie1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I have a scanguage hooked up to ECM but it gives a calculated HP output.

I am curious if a boost gauge and pyrometer are or can be included in the package or there is also something similar to the scanguage that allows to read the ECM values on a dashboard display directly.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98 star car

98 star car Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    You certainly can request those gauges. They are common. Whether or not they would be visible in the hud display I'm not sure.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I used a ScanGauge the first few weeks to make sure I knew how much boost to use. The truck has a boost gauge of its own as well. I’m not concerned about it. There is a YouTube video out there about a company called ERL running these A26s with loads over 100k from upstate NY to NJ ports and back. They seem pretty satisfied.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Still doing great. I’ve been using my Alaska Tent and Tarp winter front a lot lately. Been running PA to WI a lot. I had a fill the other day in LA at over 10 mpg, and one in IL yesterday at 8.1 that included high winds, heavy weight, increased idle time, and very low temps.
    The only truck I’ve driven that didn’t I e the interior glass was a Volvo. I have to idle my truck for 10 minutes or so to get the ice and water off the interior glass lately.
    The 8.1 mpg fill was an average of 71k, 8% DH Miles, Norfolk to WI to Divernon, IL.

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    You have to be very, very careful with that type of comparison. For example, trucks in Europe are governed at 90KpH (56 MpH). Horse power demand from aerodynamic load plus increased rolling resistance at 65 vs. 65 is substantial. Gearing is different. To draw conclusions about driveability at a certain HP and leave out cruising speed is going to lead to the wrong conclusion. If you look at the graph, at 55 MPH, the HP demand of the combinations is about 125. At 65, that demand jumps to a combined 175, an increase of 50 hp, nearly 1/3rd.

[​IMG]

7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Correct. I have said in multiple posts, to spec properly. Spec’ing for 80k or less at speeds of 60-75 mph and still get good MPG is very possible with a 13l class motor, regardless of terrain.

8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    So you do classify the A26 in 13 Liter class?

9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Yes. It’s 12.4l to be exact. I don’t think any of them are exactly 13l, they’re between 12 and 12.8l.
    Spec’ing these things boils down to
    Your target cruise speed
    Your average weight
    Terrain
    And how often do you want to maintain that cruise speed

All you’re changing is the transmission and rear end ratio to yield the right rpm that fits your needs. Unless you’re doing something very specialized that requires some special engineering.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  10. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    I've spoken with some salesmen who say that 120k is where a 15L starts to look more attractive than a 13L. Having said that, in eastern Canada many companies run 13L engines to pull b-trains (139,000lbs).

I've pulled many triaxle loads (90-110k) using a 450/1650 13L and had no issues. I'm no expert, but it seems to me that the end result is always the same: the more weight behind you the slower you accelerate and the more room you need to stop. Oh, and terrain makes a big difference.

TallJoe and daf105paccar Thank this.
  11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’ve had quite a few issues recently out of the 6x2 and traction. I spoke with foreman at Summit today about it. Turns out my truck has Bendix and not Wabco, I thought it had a Wabco system. Secondly, it only has the traction control software and not the load transfer system. He is going to get the part list to add it on here, a price, and call me back.
    I didn’t notice it last winter because I was lucky and not in a lot of bad weather. This winter I’ve really noticed it.
    I thought the load transfer systems were standard on the tag axle setups, but they aren’t. It has to be specified when ordering the truck. Learn something new everyday.

98 star car, daf105paccar and Oso Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.