New International A26 12.4L Engine

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Cowpie1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’ll also be getting an oil sample done around the first and see how the Amsoil bypass is doing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98 star car

98 star car Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    The leak is warranty work right?

By choosing the 6x2 how much cheaper was it? Is the main shaft just a pass through to rear drive axel? I watched that video on the traction system. How much is that system installed?

4. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Was just talking to a guy who works for XPO. He has an lt with the a26. He said he's been having isdiss with a sensor every time it got below 32 degrees outside. Of course he couldn't tell me which sensor it was. Lol

5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m not sure how much the system is yet. Currently my ABS ECU is not able to use Etrac. I have to get a new ABS ECU from Navistar and then we can work on the Etrac system.
    Etrac is just a load transfer system that dumps the rear tag axle to put weight on the forward powered axle. International doesn’t have a pusher lift axle setup yet.
    I can’t remember the price difference to get the 6x2. It was slightly more than a regular 6x4. It wasn’t much though. The driveshaft is straight from the transmission to the front axle. It’s a heavier duty shaft than what you’d see on a 6x4 and the ujoints and yokes are all heavier duty too.
    Doing it again I’d still get the 6x2, I’d get the Hendrickson HTB LT air suspension instead of the standard International one, and I’d be sure to get Etrac. The HTB LT is 238lb lighter and is a non torque reactive, parallelogram suspension, better suited for a 6x2. Hopefully, International will get a lift axle setup for the LT in the future. The pusher is much better than the tag setups; lifted when empty or lightly loaded, always bias the load to the powered axle for better traction, and better tire wear on the dead axle.

6. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I have my winter cover and if the high for the day is going to be under 32 degrees, I put it on. It made a huge difference the first winter I had the truck. The A26 cooling package is too large in my opinion. Works great when it’s mild or hot out, but horrible in extreme cold or just cold. I had a code come up that first winter without it regarding EGR flow rate. It only happened once and cleared itself, since using the winter cover I didn’t have an issue.
    In Wisconsin a month or two ago when the Polar Vortex blew through and it was extremely cold, I had it fully closed and the truck came nowhere close to being too hot.

8545A927-8C22-4759-A5F8-D63728A8FD29.jpeg

7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    And, the air compressor won’t be under warranty. It falls under the braking system and I did not purchase the extended warranty on the truck.

8. 98 star car

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    Anyway I can get the last 8 of your Vin? My sales guy is really curious on your setup. I stopped in today to fine tune some specs.

9. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I sent it to you. Didn’t want to put it out here in the open.

10. Newbie999

Newbie999 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Sounds reliable. Which is good to see. But how do we know that the 2011 era MaxxForce type issues would never resurface? I.e. how do I know I can rely on the A26 when those engines they made with Cummins had the tendency to fail?

Side note: I happen to be a resident of WI and that polar vertex you mentioned was really really cold.

11. Oso

Oso Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2010
    The Maxxforce used massive egr. Egr is what kills engines. All manufactures have dialed back the egr since the introduction of scr, and because of this the new engines are running a little better. So no, the a26 probably won't have Maxxforce-type issues.

Do we know that it's impossible? No, we don't: the a26 hasn't been out long enough. But the early indicators seem good. I haven't heard of any outstanding issues - have you?

Newbie999 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.