New International A26 12.4L Engine

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Cowpie1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. 98 star car

98 star car Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    A rocker arm issue and a def tank sensor are the only recalled things ive heard of. Both were addressed immediately. Supposed manufacturer defect on both.

Newbie999 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 98 star car

98 star car Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2015
    Avon, Indiana
    As I understand it, they changed the rockers to a harder stronger material. As I understand it the dry deck head design is propietary to navistar. The block is vw/man from europe. Turbo is Borg Warner. The radiator and after treatment system is identical to that found on a cummins.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  4. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    What Oso said. MaxxForce bombed because of the massive EGR flow. Compounded by two turbos and coolers. All that EGR going through resulted in massive bills and down time. The A26 is a single turbo and much simplified. Also a much lower EGR rate. My oil samples have been super clean. I just sent off another one today to see how the bypass system is doing. The after treatment part of it was never an issue. The new single canister Aftertreatment is even better being it’s a straight through design with fewer sensors, no 7th injector, and lighter.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Correct. The dry deck design is a cool feature. In the past they partnered with MAN as well using the two stage turbos and stuff. They have continued that partnership but decided to start with a clean slate, besides the block, to create a good product. Trying to copy a European diesel didn’t work for them in the past.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    There never was a European engine with that much EGR.
    So it was not a copy.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I suppose. It was modified by Navistar to try and not use SCR. It did use the two stage turbo and cooler setup though, as the MAN engines still do. They still share technology with MAN engines but decided to start from scratch to make something that’s their own this time around.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Newbie999

Newbie999 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2019
    Yeah I agree, Ustian is gone from navistar now (and has been for awhile) so I'm sure that sort of utter reliance on EGR will never be on their radar again.

I agree and appreciate the specific examples you mentioned. The A26 is a better engine than previous generations that Navistar has pumped out. Do you think it's good/reliable enough for people to start choosing it over the MX-13?

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. BoostedTeg

BoostedTeg Road Train Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Boise ID
    How is the AC in the new trucks? I remember when I drove an 09 prostar the ac never seemed to work properly.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  10. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I think so. I’m not a fan of the Paccar or Cummins. Too much soot. Detroit, Mack/Volvo, and now Navistar don’t seem to have the same issues with soot.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  11. Newbie999

Newbie999 Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2019
    True, and great fuel efficiency doesn't hurt that's for sure.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.