New International A26 12.4L Engine

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Cowpie1, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    My only bad month was December until I got the winter cover. I have been posting many runs around the 9 mpg mark hauling 70k plus pounds. They just did a software campaign on the motor and I can already tell a difference. My fuel mileage was huge on that run because Inwas only 54k gross and good conditions.

Steel Dragon Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    Timed it just right

4. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    The b10 life on the A26 is 1.2 million vs a b50 life of 1 million compared to a Cummins, Detroit, Volvo, or Paccar. Although the Paccar is a B10 of 1 million, not B50.

I routinely run mine down to 1000 rpm. If I’m almost over the grade and I’ll know it will make it in that gear I’ll let go down to 950.

These new motors are running higher compression, as an example the X15 is running a 19.8 ratio, and extremely high fuel rail pressure. The A26 I have is an 18.5 compression ratio and over 36,000 psi rail pressure. This ensures complete combustion and much less heat.

I’m not using full torque; I only use 25 pounds of boost under heavy acceleration or hard pulls. At 25 pounds I’m making 200 HP. At 1000 rpm that means I’m only using 1050 torque of the available 1750. At 950 rpm I’m using 1105 ft lbs of the available 1750. Check out this calculator so you can see what I mean Horsepower & Torque Calculator | Spicer Parts

My transmission hasn’t gotten hot yet. I have the Eaton Fuller Advantage Manual Direct Drive. The Advantage manuals are more efficient than the FR series and run very cool. Even during big climbs it may only get up to 175. The engine coolant rarely hits 200 and the oil temp is the same, rarely gets above 200.

The emissions system work as long as you service them at the proper intervals. Many big fleets don’t. As far as the EGR circuit, your only way to make it last is to not idle. Idle time on any motor with EGR is going to cause the components to prematurely fail. They are designed to operate under load so their is sufficient heat and exhaust flow. Without the heat and flow the soot begins caking up until it’s clogged.

There was a recent event called Run On Less where they took a group of fleets to showcase what the new trucks were capable of. The total average for all participants was 10.1 mpg. They were running light and under what I’d call very favorable conditions but, it’s still impressive. There is a guy named Henry Albert that is part of Team Run Smart and he posts huge numbers on a regular basis. Again, take that with a grain of salt, because he hauls light and has a dedicated run from N.C. to Laredo and back. These new motors, GHG17 and beyond, are very capable of pumping out big MPG numbers.

TallJoe and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  5. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I was down that slow because I was over 75k and I only use 25 pounds of boost when under heavy acceleration which equals 200 HP. It will boost up to 40 if I keep the RPMs up and the pedal down but that kind of driving sucks fuel. I’m not a good person to ask about power because I limit myself to only 25 pounds of boost and 200 HP but I have gotten in it a few times to get out of a situation and will get up and go. Throttle response is much better than the Cummins or Volvo in the previous trucks I’ve driven.

6. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I hear that a lot. The entire leadership team has been replaced as a result of their poor management, cutting corners, and defrauding customers. The A26 is completely new from the block up. It was developed with technology shared from VW Truck and Bus, makers of MAN trucks. International is betting their future on the A26 after Maxxforce almost put them out of business. I’ve been impressed with it so far.

TallJoe and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  7. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    The comfort, quality, and features have come a long way since the generation of truck you drove. I’ve got loads of storage in here and I don’t have a dash that blocks my vision. Mine has the extra insulation package and noise deadening. Along with the A26, if Inhave my windows up going down the highway, the only thing I hear is turbo whistle when I let off the throttle.

8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I believe my brothers grabbing them gears. Yet will I never believe the hype of the over engineered modern ####. This I will take to the grave. Modern stuff is not made to last but rather please the epa. And be way more expensive to produce and maintain.
    You see them genius engineers can't make it so these engine don't run themselves to death even with technology as it is.
    Why is there no sensors telling when coolant is getting past the age cooler? Or coolant getting to the dpf? Or giving hints compression is down? Etc.

Boundtransport and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  9. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015
    No dash blocks my vision I'm 6'2.
    The seats are painful.
    I'll never drive another international truck.
    You only get one chance to make a first impression.

arrogant steve Thanks this.
  10. Steel Dragon

Steel Dragon Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2015

:laughing3::laughing3::laughing3:

11. Misesian

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    That is a common opinion but there are plenty of examples of the new technology doing great things. Fleets like Ploger Transportation, Mesilla Valley, Nussbaum Transportation are good examples. Those guys are spec’ing trucks outside the norm for maximum efficiency. Mine is the same, there are other things in my spec to increase fuel mileage. The GHG17 motors and beyond are leagues ahead of the 2010 EPA technology that had a lot of problems.

Ssgtkevin, Oldironfan and Steel Dragon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.