New Kenworth chassis bolted not riveted !?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Johny41, Sep 16, 2018.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    The 2.1M cab is made of aluminum and uses self piercing rivets. Can see them on back of cab.

larry2903, bigguns and SAR Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Lol, no I don’t think so?

We just got it in a couple of weeks ago. Has 2 more coming in the end of October.

Oxbow, Dave_in_AZ and x1Heavy Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas

That's talking KW to me. Funny how that works without that hood. That a KW? What model?

5. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    DAM! *Pounds table.

HA. Story of my life Finally have a chance to drive a large car and not qualified HA... You probably wont touch me a 10 foot pole in dispatch either. Cowboys break horses, I break dispatchers in.

6. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    What you saw as a cut is just flash from the mold.

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    They used to BOLT cabs to the truck. The #### cab used to be made of that durable honest to god Carbon steel, none of that crappy mass production plastic crap that incurs a 2000 dollar fixit bill scraping a #### tree...

8. SmokinCAT

SmokinCAT Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Hillsboro, OH./ Adrian, MI
    Not sure how many KWs or Petes you have been around, but unless they were severe service cabs there hasn’t been steel used in a long time.

Mack used steel in their cabs and they show the rust these days of the ones that are still around.

FL was aluminum.

Ford used steel bust alas they are no more just like the GM heavies.

Oxbow, pushbroom and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Once again Western Star master race checking in with my steel cab and doors.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    My good old W900A cab is steel. Well apart from the outer skin and roof cap anyways.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is not my intent to give steel cabs a hard time. My thinking is that the metal cabs in the old days were more durable and very common. Why fix what's Broke. They were perfectly habitable with decent interior treatments and so on. (Anyone remember the diamond stitching?)

When they went to fiberglass, plastic etc things are not so durable anymore. I recall taking a cabover with it's condo cab (The top part was a sunroof and useable space under what usually was a airshield) And unfortunately I tested the Carlise railroad arch bridge in the middle and it would not go. The antennas not only sang for me but a soft thump made sure I got the message. Thee shalt not pass. I managed to blind side the driveway and get turned around. (I hate blindsiding, even though I make myself out to be some sort of a God when backing...) When I got back to the yard, there was damage up there instead of just a dent. So a post trip inspecition report was left at the shop manager's desk stating there is a hole inside the sheild in front of the sunroof where the Fiber Glass cab has been sufficiently punched to eventually let water into the cab. A steel cab would have just dented and all you needed was a body shop hammer. Bang it a few times and done.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.