New law amemdment companies don't pay detention?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    This is up for a revote April 28th 2018

x1Heavy and driverdriver Thank this.
  3. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    It is to prevent frivolous lawsuits like the one in California. Not sure it will pass. However lawsuits like that one will just restructure driver pay, or cause an outright ban on hiring inside certain states.

Ultimately it will be up to the driver to demand what pay he requires, just as it is now.

Suspect Zero, x1Heavy and smokey12 Thank this.
  4. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Yes it's been attempted since 2015, this year they feel more confident.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Im not sure if there is any reason to pursue this. Drivers like myself will have to dig up the employment records and show that time worked from hire to fire or quit. In short, I don't expect anything extra in this type of action.

Even if you could rule it in the drivers favor, the companies do not exist anymore. There is literally nothing left to pay from.

I know there is a awful lot of money involved when a carrier gets paid 2.40 or whatever per mile and the driver only gets .35 or whatever 30 years ago to do the load. There are also other exemptions to overtime because we work 70 hour weeks rather than just 40 and so on.

There is probably much more to this. But for myself personally, I don't see any point in tossing my hat into the ring. There is no money in it.

Proving that I did do this work in any given employed year via tax returns and wages reported to social security etc going back to highschool when I earned 3.35 a hour part time entering books into the Frederick County Library system several hours a day after half day in school. That was a pretty good job as far as work goes, but it's not trucking related. That did not start until I became 21.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  6. smokey12

May 30, 2012
    Am I reading something wrong here? If this amendment passes does.it mean companies are not obligated to pay detention if you sit somewhere with a load for say 12 hours?

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I thought so too.

If you did sit somewhere 12 hours waiting on a load there is something structurally wrong with the trucking.

Ive solved the problem by moving away from the kinds of shippers and customers who think it's ok to sit 12 hours and do nothing. It's ok to destroy a preplanned loading or whatever else you may have made with someone else for that truck. And so on.

Half the legislation is hard to read anyway and I think it's too early in the process to go one way or the other.

I remember many times the carrier (Boss) getting detention and nothing for the driver doing the actual waiting with the risk of having to drive all night to make up for it while tired from that waiting.

smokey12 Thanks this.
  8. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Are they obligated now? Bottom line is ,It's up to you whether or not you decide to sit.

kylefitzy, smokey12 and 06driver Thank this.
  9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    Another big push by our freinds at the ATA. Needs to get shot down.

3noses, Jazz1 and smokey12 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.