New law amemdment companies don't pay detention?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by smokey12, Apr 22, 2018.

1. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    ^^^^^This

Do not work for carriers that do not respect your time.

3noses Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    ATA’s Bill Sullivan says his group also will push the issue in the new Congress. ATA has applauded Congressional work in recent years to try to clear Denham Amendment-like language, saying the “patchwork of regulations” that could arise by state-to-state pay reforms “needlessly complicates the lives of millions of professional drivers.”

By paying them for what they do? Once again, the ATA screws the working man in favor of the large corporations

4. win-some-loose-less

win-some-loose-less Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Mount Vernon tx
    Should be called the American window licking mega fleet association.. American trucking association my ###..

5. truadvocate

truadvocate Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2018
    ATA represents the companies.

Clearly, Congress doesn't know ATA doesn't represent drivers in spite of the ATA rhetoric of what's harmful to drivers.

Where is the drivers' "ATA"?

plankton and 3noses Thank this.
  6. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    I have been down this road with my other career. If they don't "have to pay you" for work done if not required by law then they won't. It will eventually become the norm. I have only been truck driving for 2 years now..it is a disgrace what these companies are paying their OTR drivers. I enjoy the job but it's only easier for me because my wife is with me, my kids are grown and I receive a retirement pension ( That I earned by long years of hard work). I cannot imagine what otr truckers.have to go through with a family at home. A lot of these companies should be ashamed of themselves with what they are paying their drivers..and to take.this away? ..disgraceful. and wonder why their.is a shortage...

7. smokey12

smokey12 Road Train Member

May 30, 2012
    There not there..autocorrect

8. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    I've asked that same question. Apparently there isn't one. Hundred of thousands of drivers out here and we don't have our own organization to lobby on our behalf. Why isn't there an American Truck Drivers Association (ATDA)?

bottomdumpin and diesel drinker Thank this.
  9. truadvocate

Mar 31, 2018
    Maybe because we've not started one.

Maybe because the spirit of trucking is independence--solo dolo.

Maybe because we each think we have a different agenda than the next driver when in actuality... no we don't.

Maybe because we can't agree on a common agenda.

Look at all of the things we argue about on this forum...

Positive drug tests means you're a drug addict vs. No it doesn't

Marijuana should be treated like alcohol vs. Never in my lifetime, you dope head

We can't make money with ELD vs YOU don't want to use them because you're a paper log cheater

Ugh...!

It's exhausting.

ATA has their stuff together with one common goal...

Squeeze the most out of truckers for the least amount of expense.

They're WINNING!

10. plankton

plankton Medium Load Member

Jan 9, 2015
    There's also much that drivers are generally in agreement on. Things like detention pay, mentioned in this thread. Are there many drivers that think we shouldn't be paid for unreasonable waiting times to get loaded or unloaded. Is there much disagreement about the need for more safe parking available for trucks. It's late but I could make a long list of issues that most drivers would agree need to be addressed.

truadvocate Thanks this.
  11. truadvocate

Mar 31, 2018
    Only thing...

We don't allow ourselves to get together on what we agree on because we get so pissed about what we don't agree on.

Won't respect differences of opinion and agree to disagree.

SMH

Streetroddreams Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.