New member question

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Rideandrepair, Dec 23, 2023.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Just went back to LTL/Local Truckload. Biggest PITA is strapping every partial or full load. Apparently one of our Trucks got put OOS for not having load secured. It happened to me once 29 years ago, first time I ever crossed a scale. I thought a final rule was issued not long afterwards that excluded Dry Vans. Maybe I read it wrong. For years I’ve only strapped the rear of my Loads if needed. I notice Ryder Drivers putting a strap at the back doors, even though the freights up in the nose. I asked and was told they do it only to avoid a ticket. Makes no sense to me. I’m curious what most Companies require. I never worried about it doing LTL. I’m in Michigan and hauling mostly auto parts. So, what’s your Company’s policy? I have no choice. Companies already been put OOS over it. Don’t want to cause anymore problems for them. Just wondering.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    my last job before i retired, was hauling dedicated electrical freight for a major electrical supply warehouse.

i would have those huge wooden reels of wire/cabling, and they would roll out the door, when the load in front was moved onto the floor, would roll down the dock, hit the back wall of the building, and stay there, couldn't have been any easier on me.

they were NEVER strapped in, by the dockworkers of that company. but to be honest too, i delivered at night up here in New England, and all scale houses are closed.

when i hauled for Circuit City, each stop was plywooded off, and that plywood was strapped.

when i hauled for Pepsi,each stop was strapped off.

but those jobs, all scales were open.

so it depends on the companies and pretty much too, the driver.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I must have misread the “Final Rule” years ago. It referenced the walls on a dry van as being sufficient. Probably still required a rear strap, or load lock. I never got a citation running my own loads. 2057 in 19 years. Now I feel like I actually got away with something for a change. Lol.

5. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Ehhh in my personal experince its a grey area thing. Usually an officer is just going to eyeball the load and if its something that obviously wont go skidding across the trailer they ignore it. If you piss them off, the load is obviously at risk of flying through a back door or they are looking for an excuse however. Well good luck they are TECHNICALLY allowed to OOS you for unsecured load. But at the same time im not 100% sure on the rule myself. I always just threw a strap or a loadlock over the load because it takes like 5 seconds and my luck tends towards worse case is most likely lol.

Im still waiting to get an OOS for unsecured load in my end dump to be frank.

6. hotrod1653

hotrod1653 Road Train Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Somewhere in America
    I can only speak to XPO’s rule here:

Any HM, liquid tote or barrel MUST be strapped.
    Barrels must either be shrink wrapped or strapped to pallet as well.

Liquid totes and HM must have dunnage placed in front and rear that is strapped.

7. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I strap hazmat, anything top heavy or that could roll, and one across the back of the load when I have to cross a scale.

Haven’t had any trouble yet.

8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Anyone here spend anytime with Big R back in the day??
    Quadrant loading all the local runs….load securement wasn’t even considered

9. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    I used to use mt pallets to block stuff in and then a strap or load bar

my whole 2-3 years with a van … with a roof anyways

10. The_vett

The_vett Light Load Member

Jan 8, 2021
    So Cal / PNW mostly
    Aunt Edna got loaded on top of the roof , and gets strapped down in her rocking chair. when she died. ( in the Vacation movies )
    Funny movie , reading you all , it came to mind.

I hope you all ....all stay safe, warm and happy this Christmas, and all of your NEW years are HAPPY.
    Thank You for all you do.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    My father worked there in Baltimore back in the 50’s as a yard dog for a bit before he was drafted.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.