New owner operator and buying a house

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by joseph1853, Sep 22, 2020.

1. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    You come on here asking for help and opinions...
    That attitude, you will be without a house and truck sooner than later

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. zinita17601

zinita17601 Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2010
    lancaster pa
    How much cash in hand?how much u going to spend on the truck?new house down payement and closing costs?does the wife work and can u guys survive on one income?need to c the full picture before making a decision.
    Mortgage company asked me for two years tax returns and ytd loss and profit statement.

4. joseph1853

joseph1853 Heavy Load Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Exactly. They typically do not understand the trucking industry and how it works for sure. It's a game that they play and you have to learn the rules and work it to get what you need done, if your not the cookie-cutter circumstance that is.

So knowing all they are looking for are the right numbers to punch into there computer then we give them the right numbers. Easy peasy right. But we don't know exactly what there looking at on their screen and what numbers/letters there needing.

For instance, I went to the DMV once to get the title for my big truck transferred into my name. She said it will be 8000 dollars. I said that seems a bit much to get a title transferred into my name for a 20,000 dollar truck. She started to break down the cost title transfer fee, heavy vehicle tax, etc. I said I don't need tags just the title transferred. Now the cost is 2000 or whatever it was. See she assumed I needed tags when I only needed the title transferred into my name. She wasn't punching the right number/letters into her computer. Someone else might have gone in there and paid that 8000 dollars not realizing that tags are not required when transferring title ownership but I know the game at least in that arena.

I'm hoping someone on this forum may know this mortgage loan game also.

6wheeler Thanks this.
  5. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Your interpretation of my comment is incorrect. There was no attitude involved. Be careful how you interpret words on a page. Don't be so quick to make a judgement based off a couple words you've read on a page. You come off as immature and ignorant.

I was just genuinely curious why you would want to know. That's all. It doesn't have anything to do with the question that I can tell.

6. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    He didn't really have any recommendations just what the stipulations were really. Didn't think to ask. I'll do that. Thanks for the input.

7. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Good stuff. Thank you.

8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Lets move along from the insults please.

9. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Right.
    Well I wasn't going to try and get a loan before getting another job or starting up my business. How did the feds change the lending rules?

10. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    Not putting the house up actually at least not by my choice. It was a family decision and the popular vote was sale our property. Our property is family property. Has 2 houses on it on 36 acres. Dad died so now my siblings want the property sold for the cash. My family lives in one of them. Another long story.

Super-Trucker and Gsm Thank this.
  11. joseph1853

Dec 12, 2010
    Waco, TX
    10/4.
    I wasn't planning on getting a loan before getting another job or starting my business. The question at hand was whether to start my business now or just get another company driver position for the meantime to get the loan assuming no one has any other ideas on getting a loan after buying your own truck and all that that in tells.

The mortgage guy said if I get another company job I could get qualified after a couple of weeks working versus one year of running my own rig.

I will be staying in the house and renting it for at least a couple of months.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.