New Rand McNally TND 85 (Huge Disappointment)

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Th3Guy, May 24, 2020.

1. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    #### all the fun I miss out on. Still don’t have one those fancy. GPS things in my truck. Do it the old fashioned way. Road atlas and call customers. Been working for me since 1988. I do have a question though. I see drivers with 2 of those things mounted to the windshield is 2 not enough?.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Th3Guy

Th3Guy Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Earth
    I’m with you on that as I did not purchase this to be used as a tablet but since all gps devices and other devices run on an Operating System and are actually small tablets, they figure why not allow native access to it. My old 720 gps is running Windows 98 or 95, not sure which one and you can use it like a regular computer just very stripped down. These newer devices run on android/Linux made for mobile devices and they are just giving you access to what’s always been there in the background.

Device —> OS—> GPS app/software

Hegemeister Thanks this.
  4. Th3Guy

Th3Guy Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Earth

Ahh, I see now, I remember that on copilot. I usually just tap and hold on a spot and use the “add is via” option on the RM but it’s not as good because once you get to that point you have to select continue route because it’s a stop. Copilot does do that better and I have asked RM for that many times.

I’ll have to see if there is a quick way to use the TripMaker they have on the gps with the navigation software.

5. Th3Guy

Th3Guy Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Earth
    I
    I have 4 at all times, not including the stuff I test on my phone. Each give various routes and it’s good to compare since none of them are perfect.

jason6541 Thanks this.
  6. olddog_newtricks

olddog_newtricks Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2018
    I'm guessing one is a GPS the other a tablet being used for an ELD.

tow614 Thanks this.
  7. shaggychan

shaggychan Bobtail Member

May 24, 2020
    I’ll stick to using Garmin and the TruckMaps app on iPhone. They never let me down

8. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Do you realize that by the time that atlas is printed the maps are 4 years old?

A GPS is nothing more than an electronic atlas with more conveniences. ie. Truck stops,rest areas, construction zones etc.

They are quite handy when planning your trips.

A GPS is just another tool to help make our lives a little easier.

9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    I understand and I was serious with my question. Just seems that it’s a lot of money for not so reliable information. But we all have our ways to get the job done.

10. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I don't use one to find my way but to optimize my route and plan my day.

Some people have more than one because they offer different features.
    I just downloaded an app on an inexpensive tablet that has all the features combined and offers multiple routes to choose from to best plan your day.

11. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    RM has a class action legal action in progress.
    It is for the tablet products.
    A search will bring up info.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.