New rule for trainees

Discussion in 'Werner' started by SunnyBunny, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Sabine in Mo

Sabine in Mo Medium Load Member

May 11, 2006
    Fredericktown, MO
    I am a little late answering, but here it goes. Yes, you should be, and will be expected to be out there on your own. Please don't pull the "but I am a female card". We are out here doing a job, just like the guys, and well, it's not like we are being sent into a war zone.

Yes, some places I will not stop at, but will learn as time goes on, where it is safer than others.

God forbid something happens to your hubby.....what then? Part of your job may mean being on your own in a truckstop or rest area overnite. I hardly don't think you are going to wake him up to go to the bathroom with you.

Be aware, trust your instincts and you will be fine.

Asking for special consideration in this case kind of irks me. You want to do the job, but hey, you are a girl and need to be catered to. There are thousands out here on our own, it is all right for us, so why do you think you deserve the special treatment. And yes, I send myself out there every day, you will survive it too.

StrawberryWine_SC and road dust Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MilkMan

MilkMan Bullshipper

Aug 18, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Is this to say that you weren't the least, meaning not at all, concerned about being in a new situation and unfamiliar environment the very first time you went out? Two weeks from now, she'll probably realize she's in a safer environment than she'd imagined it to be and not be as concerned. I think her post was ligitimately more about the rules having been changed in the middle of the game rather than wanting special treatment. Of, my .02 may be completely off base. Just curious about my first question though.

4. StrawberryWine_SC

StrawberryWine_SC Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Williamston, SC

Did you not think about the fact that you'd be alone in your truck after training BEFORE you decided to become a driver?

5. StrawberryWine_SC

StrawberryWine_SC Light Load Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Williamston, SC
    sorry I didn't make it clear that I plan to be a team driver with my husband...but you all had very clear point of view about the fact I should be ready to spend the night alone at the truck stop or not be a driver...
    my next question is... Is that because you think it is safe for a woman? Would you advise your wife, sister, daughter that it would be something she could do on her own?

Thanks for your input, honestly. Most women I have come across so far have been team drivers and not out there on there own.[/quote]

God bless the man that invented the Cattle Prod! Driving is a man's world, but more and more women are breaking into it everyday. I'm a new Werner driver and plan to be on my own after training. We just have to be more careful and knowledgable about our surroundings.

6. 1nonly

1nonly tease-y-ness

Jul 2, 2008
    The burning sands of the SW
    Yes, a lot of lady drivers do team, but not all. In time, you meet plenty of us solo ladies. And I'm sure you've heard a lot of scary stories, but that's all they are is stories. I feel just as safe in my truck as I do anywhere.

As women, we are never truly safe. I'm sure you know that. But the trucking environment is as safe as you can get anywhere, really. Most of these guys are gentlemen, and will help you if needed.

road dust Thanks this.
  7. Sabine in Mo

Sabine in Mo Medium Load Member

May 11, 2006
    Fredericktown, MO
    Sorry if I got a bit rude again, I know, I speak or in this case type as I think, and am not very tactful at times.

That said, I understand the new can be scary. I guess since I always seem to dive headfirst into anything, especially since my husband died, I always compare things to my own experiences, and to be honest, most things pale compared to what has happened to me in the last couple of years. So, cosidering my circumstance, I don't think a lot of things are a big deal anymore. I don't stop and think about where others may come from, and maybe things that are no big deal to me, may be a big deal to them.

It is a big and scary world out there, but I believe with every fiber of my being that being scared and hiding from the bad is lettting "it" win.

Go out there, hold your head high, and truly listen to your inner voice. If it feels wrong, don't hang around to find out if you are right.

Use common sense, and unless you have to go into Canada, just carry some mace with you. For those times you are going through the dark lot alone.

My husband came inside with me in some places, others I just did it by myself. After a while you will know where it is safer than others.

I will not stop in Jessup, Md at the TA....that is one bad place. But I am perfectly comfortable to walk around in Queens or Brooklyn at nite, just never felt bad there.

Good luck to you and your husband and have fun out there.

8. Nuclear03

Nuclear03 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Danville, IL
    Just as an insight into this, Not sure whats going on, was just approved by student planner and fleet manager to put my student up in a hotel for 5 night while I'm at home.

9. Nascar_Bobby

Nascar_Bobby Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Lima, OH
    I'm getting close to my 300 hours of training. My trainer explained to me Monday that Werner would not pay for a hotel period when a trainer went on home time. My trainer does not go home on the weekends so this does not really impact me except this weekend will be his first weekend home after 5 weeks. Wish I new about the 2 day in the motel rule.

10. dinger

dinger Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Bradenton,Fl
    i am on my pto from werner at home in fl.i spent four weeks on the dollar general acct in ms and was in a motel every weekend while my trainer had hometime.although we worked sat and it was only one night (sat) and would be back on the road sun night.i am at 165 hrs and must be at the motel in lakeland fl by 11:eek:o sun to wait for my next trainer.hang in there as we all hope for it to get better.

11. Steele

Steele Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Las Vegas, NV
    If you don't understand how to get a room, if your trainer is gone for two days, then you need to ask questions now, and not when the time arises. If your trainer does not know the answer to that question, the you need to call the training department and find out.

You guys have to remember that times are lean, and budgets are getting cut. Im sure Werner's opinion is that if you can't sleep in a truck when you are training, then you can't sleep in a truck when you are on your own. Get use to it, you will be doing a lot of it. Its part of the lifestyle. I mean you are a truckdriver, right? Not a tourist.

As for sleeping in a truck, how many thousands of men AND women, team and solo, sleep in a truck at a truck stop everynight or day? They all get up, shower, eat and hit the road. As for safety, any driver, man or woman, will tell you they have their own personal safety defense "items" with them. There are many options however, because of Werner's rules and laws that vary from state to state, Im not giving any further advice on the matter of weapons.

The best advice is use common sense. Don't put yourself in a situation where you are a victim. Lock the doors. If someone knocks on the door, don't roll down the window. Park in a lighted area, and not in the back row. Keep your cellphone charged.

StrawberryWine_SC Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.