New small fleet company

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by ajohnson1982, Mar 17, 2019.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Thank you Miss "She" for the clarification. (I am gently teasing... I generally take people as they are male or female here on TTR, makes no difference to me in communicating)

I think you recognized a problem with your former work when you thought it was going to "Kill you" in some way. Ive gotten myself out of work like that a time or two. Family don't understand but they are liberal they will never understand and so.. it's permanent. ANYWAY. I started off thinking .60 is pretty decent. Then thinking why not rake in the pot, chop 30% to your driver, keep the rest for everything else.

I have worked in past for people who owned trucks, owned a shop to fix them in and a small room to yell at people like me on the telephone and so forth. It's a adventure I tell you. But when everything falls into place and everyone is in the money on friday night after a few thousand dollar week in the NE it's worth going out to celebrate. You had a awareness of everything you did cost Paw paw money somewhere. So you did it carefully. Or paid it yourself.

Those days were so simple back then. That and the DOT man on the other side of the fuel tank demanding small stuff we don't usually worry too much about. (Bingo cards, stickers, ICC and so on, things that are dinosaurs today)

This industry has gotten grotesque about money. Im pretty sure you can run a chain drive some distance given enough days to deliver and make just as much as that fancy 150,000 dollar bells and whistle pushbutton tractor made. The brokers pay the same more or less.

I wish you every luck. Count the money first before you commit to anything. IF you have it outstanding. If you don't put a little whoa there until you do have it. You sound like you have drivers you like to keep. I cannot tell you how many owners of companies will kill to have those drivers. Your brother raises red flags in my mind, but who am I to say anything at all. SInk or swim there he is. Maybe Citizenship is in his future. I hope so.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK ...

Really?

You do this to your driver?

You pay them regardless what you get.

I would have fought hard to get detent for that load or I would have drove it back.

Do you tell her what loads to take?

If so, she is an employee.

I am sorry but put a number on it, not what they normally earn but something that is agreeable. My drivers know if they get stuck, they are getting $500 a week no matter what. Some of the ones who work specialized freight get more.

But to me for all of this is not to have the truck break down and I focus on that more than anything else.

Your carrier dictates to you what they give?

Sorry but that's not good.

YOU are leased to them as a contractor, not an employee so your driver should be able take the time off when she wants.

OK ... hard to follow and ...

Landstar is different, I have a bunch of trucks with them and the drivers themselves work directly with the agents, I don't get involved with the "dispatching" because they are 1099 drivers. If you decide to take it to LS, then it is a system which you need to promote your truck to the agents who provide the work in your little niche, and it isn't where you look for loads and dispatch them.

dwells40 Thanks this.
  4. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    Can you give more info on your landstar operation?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.