New split sleeper berth provision. What's the formula for 14 hour shift?

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by TallJoe, May 4, 2021.

1. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    But it does say the "two periods." Which leads me to think only one would apply. I'd also think it was the closest.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I would not mind to know that it is absolutely a certain rule, otherwise it'll always be tempting to think otherwise and use it to your own advantage. Especially when Keep Truckin thinks that way too.

You know how 99% of drivers (ELD users) tend to think? "If my ELD allows me to go, then why should not I?"

NavigatorWife and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I was in on a conference call to our state DOT and FMCSA with my safety and compliance guy...

Per that conversation...

"In the event that there is more than one qualifying break... The ONE that results in no violation will be used. Multiple qualifying breaks cannot be used and strung together, only one."

@TallJoe in your original post the final example should have been a violation... Even after completing sleeper time, as the longest qualifying break was roughly 3 hours, not the 4 and change needed to extend the 14 out to 23:00.

Looks to me like KT has alot of work to do on thier product. This is a perfect example of why new drivers (not implying TallJoe is a new driver) need to have serious training in HOS, these ELD programmers dont work with HOS day in and day out like we do... The ELD isnt always right.

5. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    The word "neither" implies 2 breaks... Otherwise it would read "none of the" instead of "neither." This comes down to proper use and understanding of English. Thats not meant as an insult to anyone.

6. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    OK. @Cattleman84 I'll give you credit of trust since you attended a conference where such topics were covered, if what you stated earlier is correct then we are getting closer to some sort of consensus here...which is the aim of this thread. Frankly speaking, even I - an wanna be HOS liberal, feel, at least intuitively, that only the one "shorter" break that finally will be used for the purpose of the satisfying the split break requirement, should be used in determining for how long he 14 hour clock was stopped (which is the same as to say: how much time the 14 hours shift was extended). If this is the right interpretation, then KT is a great deal of liability with how they programmed scenarios as depicted in the example in the first post. While I agree with you @Cattleman84 about drivers' need to understand HO better, which in some cases I get confused myself, however ELDs will not promote such education simply because the general notion of ELDs is that they know better and even FMCSA has not covered all the possible scenarios. Certainly, it is hard to argue with the customer reps of KT - they are all stand behind by what their product shows as correct.

7. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Yes that was the conclusion that was reached in the conference call I was part of. For added clarity, IF multiple "shorter" qualifying breaks take place during a single shift then ANY ONE can be used to figure how long to extend the 14 hr clock... But only one. In my opinion it is obvious that the longest "shorter" qualifying break will be the one to use, as it will extend the clock the most....

The only caveat to this is that which ever qualifying break you choose, it must have started BEFORE the NON-extended 14 expired. I say this because it is feasible for a second qualifying break to take place late in the day after already applying the first qualifying break. If one tries to apply this second break, the first break would then count against the 14... And IF, when the first break is counted toward the 14, the 14 expired BEFORE the second break began then obviously a violation occured before beginning a split.... Obviously this is a very edge case, and kind of confusing to wrap your head around. I've actually had to sit down with paper logs and draw out examples for a couple guys to fully explain the concept.

8. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I agree 100%... The ELD that my company uses WILL recognise a split... But it will not recalculate your 11 and 14 based on that split, it will just show a violation, with no note that it will be corrected, until both portions of the split are complete. Thus if a driver doesnt understand how the split works one could very easily go into violation unintentionally.

I'm kinda on the fense as to whether or not I like that it wont recalculate it for me... For those of us that understand, it would be nice to not have to figure it out manually. However, for those that dont understand, it may keep them from getting into a situation where they think they should have more time available than they really do and thereby screw up thier schedule.

9. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Reason for edit: messed up quote
  10. Lucky12

Lucky12 Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2019

I interpret the regulation exactly the same as Cattlemen.

While this is perhaps stating the obvious, for solo drivers there is very little likelihood of using the split sleeper provision without having the second half be a full 10 hours. There might be some really odd delivery/pickup combo that the hours make sense, but it would seem to me to be very very unlikely and seldom if ever used the way it is designed (for team trucks that keep rolling). For solo drivers, the split sleeper is merely a way to pause the 14. That's my take on it.

BTW several of the ELDs do not calculate it right, it is not just KT. For all it's faults and dated technology, the QC unit was superior in this respect, imo.

Last I heard the ability to do 4-6 and 5-5 splits is currently under review to add additional flexibility. I have not heard that they decided against it. Others may know more on that.

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    Reason for edit: New Information
  11. TallJoe

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I do like to take a longer break after a 4-5 hours in the saddle and then finish the rest of driving. So often enough, I use 3/7 or 7/3 as 2/8 8/2 before. That's especially true on longer trips taking more than a day to finish and also whenever I have to spend more than 2 hours at the dock waiting for a red light turn green. I am sure logging sleeper while being in the sleeper waiting for them to finish loading/unloading is debatable too but I won't start it here.

If they are considering returning to any split combination (4/6 5/5 6/4), I'd welcome that change for sure.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.