New start at Superior Carriers

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by Arpoc, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Jbond

Jbond Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks , they told me to come down to an open house but its at 3 and 6 pm i work so i cant make it ,if you dont mind telling me how much was it ? and how many students where in your class? Lots of drive time?. How many weeks? Sorry for all the questions. Hope you get back on your feet soon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arpoc

Arpoc Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I went there in October and tuition was around $5300. Add in another couple hundred for testing fees so figure around $5600 total and it'll take about 4 weeks to complete depending on how many students are in the class. When I went, we only had 3 students so getting drive time wasn't a problem. The first week is prepping for the written exams which you'll take at the end of your first week. The second week is mainly class room but you'll spend one day with the truck and your instructor will let you do some driving in the practice area and have you do straight line backing. After the second week it's pretty much all driving. The drive times are broken into four hour blocks and you'll have eleven of them in total and you will get two consecutive drive times which makes for a long day. Also, don't plan on driving a lot on 4 lane roads and Interstates. You'll spend 90 percent of your driving time on 2 lane back roads that you'll swear the truck won't fit on. Crossing the double yellow line will be common place to keep your tandem wheels on the road. This is the reason I highly recommend this school. They will take you places where even experienced drivers would struggle to get through. When you leave school you will know how to drive a big truck through twisty, narrow, windy roads and not just pass a road test. The other good thing about this school is that you will NEVER share a cab with another student. All driving is one on one so you'll get a full 44 hours of steering wheel time. Very few other schools can say this. Is this school expensive? Yes. Do I think it was worth it? Absolutely!

4. Jbond

Jbond Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Thanks for all the info, Im going to go in may, school is only about 30 minutes from my house,Sounds like it was a positive experience for you. the trucks manual or autos? 10 or 13 speeds? I can drive a standard tranny.I want to get into the oil field stuff, did you check into any of that? Big business in my neck of the woods.

5. Arpoc

Arpoc Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    The truck was a standard 10 speed. As far as oil/gas field work, you're going to find it hard to land a job with no experience. Very few will hire right out of school. I know Equipment Transport in Belle Vernon hired a couple people from Sage a few months ago but I'm not sure if they still are. It's a tough place to cut your teeth so to speak but the money is good if you can get hired on somewhere and don't mind working nights. Personally, I wanted to drive OTR and drive tractor trailers so I never looked too hard into that. The other downside is that all of the water bottles are class b trucks and if you ever decide to move on you'll most likely have to take a refresher course as almost all companies want combination experience. Just a thought. Good luck to you on whichever way you decide to go.

6. keebler13579

keebler13579 Heavy Load Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Research oil bus it's either boom or bust heard they were letting a bunch of workers go cause of low oil prices right now. Also heard it's extremely tiring and long days/nights.

7. Jbond

Jbond Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    Yea that is true to a point but I have a friend that started hauling water and now has 3 trucks, 12 hour days run two shifts I think thats stupid but thats the way oil companys want to do it split seating.They dont want to swap out drivers more than once a 24 hour shift, WHY? Dont know.. Trucking is a tuff business.

8. Arpoc

Arpoc Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    I would imagine oil field work is taking a beating right now. Jbond and I are from western Pa and it's all Marcellus gas work around here. Not sure how that industry is doing but I still see tons of water bottles going up and down the highway. I credit the gas boom around here for getting my foot in the door at Superior. They seem to be sucking up a lot of the more experienced drivers making these OTR companies dig a little deeper into the driver pool to fill positions.

9. crazystalin

crazystalin Light Load Member

Feb 5, 2013
    NC
    That must of been you I seen driving that day cab. Nice truck with super 10 if remember. Wish all trucks has that transmission. This winter has been easy with me. Only had 2 snow storms to deal with. I seem to follow the snow so lucky I guess. I been with superior for over 2 years now as of the 13th of march. I am happy here. Just make sure you learn pump offs the right way. Not to speak bad of anyone but trainer kind of missed pump off training with me. There is sherwin williams pump off and other pump offs. So different to me. Glad my pump keeps going down. Not like would use if much.

I say good 99 percent of our drivers will help whenever you need it. Don't be afraid to ask. Safe than sorry.

10. Jbond

Jbond Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    well did you recover from your accident ? hope you got back on at superior, Im in limbo with my job decisions dont know what to do still comtiplating the next move,

11. Arpoc

Arpoc Bobtail Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Yep. I've been back for about 3 weeks now. Just finished training and will be on my own Sunday. I have a load with a three hole going out to Jersey. Our terminal is looking to hire 5 more drivers in the next few weeks. They're turning down lots of loads because of a lack of drivers. I've been very happy with this company and plan on retiring from here. They're not perfect but it's hard to imagine anyone better.

mxpx148, Jbond and wsyrob Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.