New to automatic slack adjusters. Any adjustment neccesary?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by giannid, Mar 6, 2018.

1. giannid

giannid Light Load Member

Dec 6, 2015
    So I just purchase a new used truck for me, a Freightliner M2-112. Anyways, I see it has automatic slack adjusters. I've never had a truck with these and wondering if there's anything I need to do or are they completely self adjusting? Is there a way I can find out if they're actually working properly? Brakes are pretty important to me obviously and I want to make sure I always have maximum braking powder. Never had a problem with the manual ones and honestly I wish these were manual. Leaving them on there until they quit working. Pictures attached. IMG_0301.JPG IMG_0302.JPG

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They are supposed to be automatic but the older they get they can stop adjusting. You can go under truck and pull on them and see if they are keeping adjustment. If they stop working you have to replace then with automatic slack adjusters. I don't think you can go back to manual by law.

You can push the bakes pedal hard to get them to self adjust but remember they only self adjust like a quarter turn each time. So you would have to apply brakes a couple times to make sure self adjusted all the way.

If they don't self adjust as they get older you have to replace them. Self adjusting does not mean never check them your still on the hook if they stop self adjusting

4. giannid

Dec 6, 2015
    You say pull them to check them? Please explain. Like I said, never had them before.

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You pull on the push rod/slack adjusters like manual ones to measure if they are in adjustment. You can but a kit that can be hooked up and it shows if they are in adjustment also.

6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You know if they working buy pulling on slack adjusters. If they are in adjustment they are working. If they out of adjustment they are not self adjusting anymore and need to be replace with a new self adjusting slack adjusters.

7. giannid

Dec 6, 2015
    Honestly with my manual slack adjusters, I never did it like that. I tightened the slack adjuster all the way down and backed out the rears half a turn and 3/4 for the fronts. That's how an old timer showed me over 25 years ago. Guess I've been doing it wrong all these years.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    You can do that was also both work. I just pulled on them myself since I did not want to adjust them if it was not needed.

I was shown the tapping the brake drums way also I was told it was old school way. It would save you from getting under the truck but if you over tighten them you can't back them off unless you get under the truck. It not the best way but it was simple and clean.

9. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    If you manually adjust automatic slack adjusters that are out of whack... they will ride themselves back out of adjustment.
    With the manuals we all tightened them down and turned them back off with a 9/16 a half turn or so. (I know u know this)
    It will work in a pinch for autos... but the way to adjust them is with the system charged, and 4-6 HARD brake applications to the floor.
    If that doesn't fix them, you need to get them to the brake man.

Concorde Thanks this.
  10. giannid

Dec 6, 2015
    I have an air brake trailer that had the auto's for a short time. I changed them over to manuals. We're a local hauler so we don't put a lot of miles on our equipment. I much prefer the manuals as it's one less thing to go wrong. I'll have to see if I can find a youtube video to see if these are within adjustment.

11. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Adjusting auto slacks just ####s them up. Put the grease to them once a week and they'll last for years.

Klleetrucking and jammer910Z Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.