New to automatic slack adjusters. Any adjustment neccesary?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by giannid, Mar 6, 2018.

1. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brandon72

brandon72 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2019
    You can do it the same way you always have on Self adjusting slack adjusters to, i do.....Although if you are having to do it often, that means they are not doing the job and need to be replaced..

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No just a half inch or a 9-16th, find big nut, crank it down. tap drum thud thud brakes on. Back off half a turn until you hear Mr Ding Ding while tapping on drum. Done.

Several times a day dive under there and adjust them.

When we hit auto adjusters I just stomp the service air to the floor 7 times and hope the DOT man pulling on them sees them in adjustment.

5. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Not necessarily. Automatic slack adjusters only really adjust during HARD breaking. A careful driver that never hard brakes can easily get brakes with automatic slack adjusters out of alignment.

A good recommendation is to make several HARD brake applications at the end of a shift (but NOT with the spring brakes on at the same time!) to force the slack adjusters to ratchet. I also train my drivers to do this when they get pulled in for an inspection. Five or six full pressure applications before they open the door to go talk to the inspector.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. John2016

John2016 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2020

7. John2016

John2016 Bobtail Member

Mar 26, 2020
    To check them ..air I system .chock wheels release brakes ..pull on slack adjuster it should only pull out about 3/4 to 1 inch..if more adjust by tightening 7/16 bolt in until it stops the back of 1/2 turn..it will make a popping noise sounds like you are breaking something when backing off. but it's a normal sound...good to go

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.