New to car hauling with dually in Denver Colorado

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Nestor, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Hi I'm new to car hauling . I have a dually with a 4 car hauler . I was wondering if anyone can help me out or anyone in Denver I can go with them with a day and I'll pay some cash for the help .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ohiobred

ohiobred Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2010
    central ky
    You have the right idea about finding someone to help you. I have found it is very hard to get most to help you in this biz. Do you have your own authority?

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  4. Nestor

Nestor Light Load Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Yes I have dually and trailer and also I have work with Mannheim denver but never done car hauling .

5. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    Hi Nestor like Ohiobred said it's good to ask for help and hard to find it. Your a bit far from here in NC but keep your mind focused and things will work out. If you got any questions just send me a PM and if I can I try to answer them. But remember I am not the greatest mind on here, I can only tell ya things as I experience them. Good Luck.

6. ohiobred

ohiobred Bobtail Member

Dec 6, 2010
    central ky
    I would hit the truck stop and catch some guys there maybe show you a think or 2. I know there is several different way to secure a auto. from what i have seen, especially from flatbedcarrier is the straps for over the wheels is the way to go. he has some good pics of how they secure auto and what not. if you look they will put the straps in opposite directions to keep the auto from going front to back. good luck im sure you will do good.

Ryan S2016 Thanks this.
  7. Ryan S2016

Ryan S2016 Medium Load Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Western North Carolina
    That's exactly how I do it,

ohiobred Thanks this.
  8. 1nicevette

1nicevette Medium Load Member

Dec 22, 2016
    What kind of pick up do you have and car trailer?
    Also I would go down to the rail yard in Henderson and start talking to the people there.

9. flatbedcarrier

flatbedcarrier Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Yep, hang around a truck stop, look at and zoom in on all the pictures you can find online.

Ther3s lots of different ways to use tire straps. These are what we call lasso straps. This is one way we use them. Notice the padding where the strap goes through the wheel.

IMG_1226.JPG IMG_1227.JPG

This is the same strap used to lasso the top of the tire. We purchase our straps with what's called a cordura sleeve. The sleeve is positioned behind the tire to protect if from being cut on the suspension, or steering components. The cordura sleeve doesn't work as padding on a rim though. Always carry some soft rags that won't mar up the wheels.

IMG_0564.JPG

Notice how these straps are pulling. If they were pulling out away from the vehicle you tend to get more rocking motion. When you have vehicles loaded on with only a couple inches of clearance between them that extra rocking motion can, and usually will cause the bumpers to make contact. The last thing you want is vehicles going down the road taping bumpers. It's a automatic insurance claim.

IMG_0561.JPG

Look at this strap, see how it's touching the lug nuts? Those lug nuts will chew through those straps during transport. The strap should've been repositioned, or even padded if necessary. And another thing you have to watch out for is if there's a hub cap. Pressure against the hub cap from the strap can cause damage to the hub cap, or cause it to pop off during transport. I just bought a new hub cap for my Ram truck because it either fell off, or someone took it? It cost me $150.00 at the dealer for just one hub cap. Also watch that you don't damage beauty rings, or valve stems.

Also notice how the strap goes through the ring, see how it's causing it to choke the tire. That's how you want it. Had the ratchet been to the right of this tire, it wouldn't be choking it. You want to be choking the tire.

Like the other guys were saying here there's a lot of ways to tie down vehicles. Just take your time and make sure nothing can get damaged. Stop often to check your load to make sure nothing has moved.

On narrow vehicles you have to watch for hopping while going down the road. If you use a lasso strap over the top of a tire on a narrow vehicle and it hops the tires can spin on the deck and cause the lasso strap to fall off the tire. With narrow vehicles go through the wheel of possible or use extra straps pulling towards the side. The goal is to suck the vehicle down to the deck more and stop the hopping.

In my book there's no such thing as over securing vehicles or freight.

ohiobred and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  10. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    On a ramped trailer double strapping a wheel in some cases is a smart move. For instance on our lowboys, if the rear wheels of a dually is sitting on the dove we typically add a second strap pulling straight down, or a little forward. I'll try to find a picture of what I'm talking about.

11. flatbedcarrier

Jun 8, 2005
    Southern California
    Here's another style strap that I like. The only downside with this style strap is that they don't store away as nice.

IMG_1398.JPG

Chasingthesky and ohiobred Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.