New to CBs. Need some help

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Alar220, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Alar220

Alar220 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2019
    I bought a Cobra 29 lx the other week, hooked it up and had horrible static, could hardly hear anyone. Thought it was the stock antenna on my 2019 peterbilt 579, so I bought a wilson trucker 2000 today. Same problems, I can hear a few people here and there, but if no one is talking its all static. I havent had a chance to properly tune the swrs in a open area yet.

Im not sure what the issue is, Ive thought about buying an aftermarket coax and running that, but Id have to remount the antenna somewhere else as the stock mount on the 579 has a smaller barrel than what Ive seen around shops.

I also saw a post on here earlier that the power/grounding could be causing some static and to unplug the antenna and see if there still is static coming through or not. I did that and yeah its all static still. Ive got it plugged into the stock red/black sockets inbetween the visors.

I can add pictures tomorrow if it may help someone understand, but as alot of drivers are now adays, im not a mechanic and this is my first time dabbling with cbs.

Any and all help will be greatly appriciated, ive been fussing with this thing for 1.5 weeks now and about ready to just give up.

Thanks in advance

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BTShepp

BTShepp Blue Demon

Oct 31, 2015
    Chicago, IL
    You stated you’re new to CB. When I was new, I had the same issue. I heard faint voices in the static. I thought my equipment was to blame. Fast forward a little, and learned that it was just how few people use CB these days. I was catching the faint transmissions of people many miles away. Have you tried it at a truck stop where you’re certain someone nearby has their radio on?

4. Alar220

Alar220 Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2019
    That makes sense. Im at a truckstop now and can here some guys go back and forth. But when no one is talking its still a lot of static. Ive watched some videos on youtube when I first tried to fix this and there was little to no static. I can even remember teamming with an old timer who had a cb in his truck and it #### near scared the hell out of me because I forgot I left it on one night (no constant static) and some guy comes out of the blue yellin about this or that.

5. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    I’m in a 2019 579.

What antenna setup and trailer type do you have?

Our high roof sleepers pulling 53’ vans are equipped with back-of-sleeper mounts. Single antenna.

This isn’t much good, overall. The factory antenna doesn’t reach the height of the roof fairing.

I bypassed the stock coax and ran RG8X in thru an existing sidebox floor hole (for inverter power). It’s draped along the drivers side roof to the stock radio location.

I replaced the antenna with a 5’ Skipshooter which is on a 4” SS spring and a TOP GUN TEC SS Mount Stud.

Antenna is above trailer roof at least 4”. While not ideal, it has been a set of low-cost upgrades that SIGNIFICANTLY enhances performance.

Noise elimination is pretty well Job #2. First one needs ADEQUATE gear and installation (noise abatement is part of install; a continuing job) which will include antenna tuning (About $30 for an ASTATIC SWR Meter; get one).

A pickup, car or SUV is quite easy to get good performance compared to today’s big trucks. Expect a learning curve.

I recommend you start by seeing what others with 579 Peterbilts have done. Make notes. Reasearch this sub-forum.

A pair of ears is the most important. Being heard by others less so, and easier to achieve. 3-5/miles is the “idea” of CB (many conditions apply), but more is possible.

I consider it a vital tool. There hasn’t been a week since I started 21-years ago that the CB hasn’t saved me time or made my day easier.

Example: A few days ago I was returning from farthest NW Arkansas to Hot Springs and heard a report that IH49 was seriously backed up south of Fayetteville. I pulled off into the ONLY truck stop, and checked against other sources. Had lunch and took a nap. When I awoke, all was clear.

Or I could have spent that hour-plus in traffic. On-Duty/Driving: Creeping. Instead of Off-Duty: Fart/Belch/Snore. And being later thru Little Rock made that easier and faster as well.

Easily saved 1.5/hrs duty time. AND fed, rested & relaxed.

Point is, keep at it. Some of the funniest things I’ve ever heard in this lifetime fame across that radio. For all the hours of aggravation, sometimes it’s offset TOTALLY by 15-seconds of info.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    Meteorgray and wolverine11 Thank this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Slowmover1 Thanks this.
  7. FastForward203

FastForward203 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2019
    The FCC regulates CB Radio power levels to 4 watts max. Your new radio is set to that output. Once you get your SWR set, be sure to visit. A CB shop to have it tuned. Ask them to double check the frequency out put also. That helps on both transmitting and receiving.

8. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What are the odds that he will accidentally stumble across a CB shop with a technician that has more knowledge than the engineers that designed the radio and more accurate test equipment than the equipment that was used at the factory to align the radio? I think the deck is stacked against him. There's lots of con artists out there.
    There's lots of well-trained repairman out there also but I have yet to meet more than one capable of improving the efficiency of a radio Beyond how it came from the factory.

Meteorgray, wolverine11 and Ragman54 Thank this.
  9. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
  10. FastForward203

FastForward203 Bobtail Member

Jun 1, 2019
    I have to agree that there are some con men out there as in any industry. I do also know that the driver transistor on that radio is 35 watts. Yet it's tuned at 4. I do also know if he gets it tuned for 35 and doesn't have it SWR properly first, the reflective energy will be between 35 and 70 watts. I do know that if his frequency is not on point, it's all in vain. I hope he doesn't get conned, but I just try to help.

11. Slowmover1

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Want power? Add an RM ITALY KL203 amp for $75.

75W all day. 12A fused so will run WITH radio off factory power circuit.

Leave radio alone.

Meteorgray Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.