New to Flatbedding

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Highwaybound, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Highwaybound

Highwaybound Bobtail Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    I was given a choice. Pull water heaters in a high cube drop deck, or pull flatbeds. I chose flatbeds...

I am a complete newbie, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I am not sure what you want advice about? Is this the first time you have pulled a flat bed? Any experience pulling open deck trailers?

4. Highwaybound

Oct 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    I am new to it all. I just graduated from a school, and this will be my first company. No experience pulling anything.

5. TennMan

TennMan Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Hazzard County Jail !!!!!
    Pay Attention to the trainer and if you have any questions don'e be afraid to ask the trainer while you're with him. Keep a couple sets of gloves in your truck and extra bungee cords.

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Never get in a hurry when you are securing a load on an open deck trailer. You can never have too many chains or straps.

7. Highwaybound

Oct 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    I'm heading out with my trainer Monday morning

8. 1catfish

1catfish Road Train Member

Jul 18, 2010
    good luck and be safe.

9. rocknsand

rocknsand Medium Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Tonganoxie, KS
    Get yourself a small notebook and take notes...about everything. Otherwise when your trainer is gone and its just you, you are gonna say, now what did he say about that. Ah yeah, its in my notes.

cruisecontrol and Big_Perv93 Thank this.
  10. cruisecontrol

cruisecontrol Medium Load Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Rockingham, NC
    good idea...also, since you will be just riding part of the time, that would be a good time to note some nicer truckstops too..also smaller ones that are off the beaten path. Those smaller ones on US hwys and State roads come in handy.

11. kwloo

kwloo Medium Load Member

Nov 3, 2011
    eh?
    You have alot to learn. Tarping, securement, protecting your equipment, slowing way down for ramps, load placement and on and on. But when you run down the road, there is alot more pride in having your work on display. Its a tough season to be learning but dress appropriately (and have lots of dry gloves to change up to) so that you don't rush securement because you are getting cold.
    Plus you get to haul some unique stuff, maybe some over width and when you get to your destination- the receiver probably is glad to see you. Not like the lumper that is unloading his 40th dry van and could care less.
    Notebook is good. I photcopied an experienced flatbedders note book to get me started. I also take pictures of my loads and keep notes on weights and things I would do differently. I have found that the shippers of equipment can give you lots of good advice as they have done it before. Make sure you are happy before you leave the dock though because you will not be moving most things by yourself.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.