New to me 1693 Cat - looking for upgrades

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 1972RedNeck, Aug 20, 2018.

1. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    X2 on Bepco.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1972RedNeck

1972RedNeck Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2018
    Been a minute, long story short, compressor was fine, oil cooler was the culprit. I am currently on my 6th or 7th flush to get the gunk out - finally starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I had a chance this morning after refilling my cooling system to take a look at my A/C system. The bottom core of the grilledenser was rubbed through in a lot of spots. I pulled it out and bypassed the bottom two tubes and it seems to hold great.

Will be picking up some flush and receiver/dryer and a compressor belt and see what happens.

Anyways, my blower motor and fan cage is toast. The motor squeals like a pig and the cage has 1/3 of the bars broken out and doesn't move much air. I haven;t had much luck finding a replacement assembly either.

Any leads on where to get a complete blower assembly? I also need the switch as well (rectangle slot, 3 position On-Off-On switch)...

4. 1972RedNeck

Aug 20, 2018
    I have yet to be able to find a JWAC for it so I decided to convert to air to air intercooling. Has anyone done this on a W900A? It looks like I could fit an intercooler around the sides of the radiator if I found the right width cooler. Were any newer W900's like this or did they all go over the top? Any other truck that might have an intercooler that would fit?

Option two would be to get the radiator and intercooler out of a newer W900 which would also allow me to step up to a 1400 square in radiator in the process. My lower radiator outlet is centered pointing down - did any newer W900's have this style of outlet?

Lastly, what results should I expect to see? .5 MPG increase? 1 MPG?

100° drop on the pyro? 200°?

5. 806 man

806 man Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    Was thinking of going air to air cooling on mine at some time. Water cooling would make it 425+HP . Air cooling would be the best cooling option. Not sure on exhaust temps but any kind of cooling should help

6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Look @ ATHS forums, guys have converted to ATAAAC. Easist seems to going to W900B or S rad/CAC package.

7. 1972RedNeck

Aug 20, 2018
    Got a B model CAC swapped onto the old Clatterpillar. Dropped about 200° on the pyro and pulls a bi harder as I don't have to let off for EGT's. Overall happy with the upgrade, even though the turbo spools a bit slower.

Before adding the CAC I was building 25 pounds of boost. Now it will only make 18 pounds. I realize by cooling the air charge boost will drop, but I didn't expect 7 pounds. Do you think all 7 pounds are just because the air is that much cooler or do I have a boost leak? The charge air system tests good cold, but I have seen a CAC hold perfect when cold but leak like a seive when hot. That, and the turbo seems slightly louder and as said, it spools slower.

Thoughts?

jamespmack Thanks this.
  8. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Take it out, get it hot, then pop off the boots and test it before it cools down too much?

9. duhduh

duhduh Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Western Missouri
    Had a 79 Pete with a pre cup V8 it would whirlpool the fuel tanks, but it would go. Had an 81 Pete with a 380 what a great motor. All the Cat men said the HP was rated to the ground. Then I ordered a B model in an 85 Pete I was sure the B stood for boat anchor until I figured out how to tune it. Lot of 1693 on stands all over west Texas and New Mexico pumping water. Wound not want to feed one though.

10. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

First, not a Cat guy and only skimmed over this. But if your pyro and boost are down that much from your modification. You safely now can add more fuel. Fuel makes boost. Boost make power. You have temps more than under control.

Power cost money, how fast do you want to go?

1972RedNeck and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  11. 806 man

806 man Bobtail Member

Feb 9, 2019
    You must have a big leak. CAC seems to be doing it's job, 200* is huge a 15-20% drop in temps

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.