New to Prime INC - What to expect (Springfield edition)

Discussion in 'Prime' started by silenteagle, Dec 6, 2012.

1. hollywoodmd

hollywoodmd Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2014
    hey hollywood68 im starting orientation on 23rd have cdl going for flatbeds was a carpenter for 20 years so hard work is my middle name i got a few questions for you when you came to prime did you bring your own traps/straps and so on or did you have to buy from them.it sounds like you got a good fm i hope i get one like that. i to like shower in morning rise and grind for the day your post had some good info i hope i can move and shake like you. what kind of loads do you haul.what % of loads do you tarp.about how long does it take to trap i know diff loads diff time but a average i know im new so i wont be as fast but something to shoot for. thanks for any info you can give me

04 Stroke Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Easy Steamer

Easy Steamer Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep. It's not a routine thing, 4 to 5 is the norm, but if you need the time you can get it and not have to turn in your truck

4. Shepard_Garrus

Shepard_Garrus Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Greenbelt, MD
    I applied with Prime and was approved to be a PSD but I'm a little confused/worried about something. I live in Maryland and if I go through a student driver program and get my CDL in Missouri, Maryland will not accept it and will make me start over by getting my learners permit in Maryland and then having to take my skills test in Maryland. Apparently the CDL I would get in Missouri would be temporary and Maryland doesnt accept temporary CDL's from other states. Basically Maryland wants you too have to pay $4,000-$5,000 to go to one of their 2 week training mill programs in the state. Swift, CR England, Knight and US express all refused to even talk to me because I'm from Maryland. The recruiter with Prime told me that I should get my Class A learners in Maryland before I go for orientation(which I wanted to do anyway) and then I would be able to use a prime truck to take my test in Maryland, I'm assuming with my trainer and his truck. I'm thinking with a company that is all over the 48 this doesn't seem to unreasonable but part of me is thinking my recruiter is just blowing smoke up my ### to get her commision. Anyone have any input on this?

5. FullMetalJacket

FullMetalJacket Road Train Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Vagrant
    No worries. Everyone from IL has to do this, too. Happens all the time.

Shepard_Garrus Thanks this.
  6. Shepard_Garrus

Apr 2, 2014
    Greenbelt, MD
    Thank you. I wont be able to start orientation until June so that was going to be on the back of my mind for two months.

7. Shepard_Garrus

Apr 2, 2014
    Greenbelt, MD
    I'm looking at buying the Rand Mcnally motor carriers road atlas and possibly a truck specific gps to go along with. Is this something I should have when I leave for orientation or would it be best to wait to purchase these thing once I'm through with the TNT phase and out on my own?

8. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Just wait.

Shepard_Garrus Thanks this.
  9. hollywoodmd

hollywoodmd Light Load Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Question for flatbeder;s I know you have to buy equipment how much is it and do you have to get all new or can you start with used .can you start with bear min and buy as you go. My father has a lot of stuff left after he retired he said he would give to me.any info would be great

10. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Ask your questions once on one thread please.

11. rsist34

rsist34 Bobtail Member

Sep 16, 2013
    So how long does it take to get an instructor? Been on thre pad for 8 hours a day for the last three days

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.